Wednesday, July 29, 2009

May Every Single One of Your Sweet Dreams Come True

How many times has the artistic side of you rumbled with the logical side? Who usually wins out? For many years, I struggled with this, and often times the logical side won out. Why? Because it's easier, more logical, more socially acceptable. But the real story lies deeper still, for living a life of authenticity and intention is not a matter of right vs wrong or good vs evil - it's a matter of life vs mere survival.

So, what's a poor artist to do? It has taken me years to perceive not only in my head, but in my heart, that living anything other than an authentic life is meaningless, useless, petty, and perfectly uninspiring. For me, an inauthentic, unintentional life equals mere survival - not a particularly tasty choice. Instead, the life I choose involves a breathtaking explosion of creativity, self-expression, intentionality, and vulnerability.

Vulnerability, you ask? Why? Because we artists who tirelessly listen for the voices in the wind that rap upon our doors, and express those voices as genuinely, deeply, and beautifully as possible, expose ourselves. And exposure equals vulnerability. If you're clear about your personal vision, harsh words or form rejections mean nothing. If you're not, or feel the art is you, rather than is a part of you, you may fall prey to the critical words of others. If you allow it, words can slice you like a knife, cutting so deeply that you become paralyzed. But only if you allow it! Realizing you have the power to determine your success or failure gives you infinite freedom and ultimate success.

The greatest gift we artists can give ourselves and each other is permission to explore our talents fully, authentically, and intentionally, and to applaud and support each other in this ever-evolving endeavor.

So, to all my artsy friends out there - may your expressions be real, may your inspiration be bountiful, and may every single one of your sweet dreams come true.

Namaste! (I bow to you.)

32 comments:

Traci said...

I CAN SO RELATE! What a beautiful post Deb! Hope all is well with you...seems that you are doing GREAT! :-)

Stephanie Faris said...

I always say there's only one thing can control -- OURSELVES. I hear people say "My goal is to be published by the end of the year" but that's NOT a good goal. A good goal is to state what you plan to do to get published...because that's all WE can control. Creating good work, putting it out there, and hoping for the best.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Traci, Where have you been, gf? I've missed you!!!! It's such a treat to see your beautiful face.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Stephanie, How true. Doing the best writing we can and researching agents and the business is the goal. Everything else, as they say, is icing on the cake.;-)

Big Mark 243 said...

This was a very good entry, one that is of value to me at this particular time in my life.

Following one's heart isn't illogical, but it is the height OF logic. Why shouldn't you be able to follow what inspires you, providing only that it doesn't violate the principles of nature or of the binding sprits of life.

Thanks for sharing this with me, Deb. I am sure others will appreciate these words as well.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Mark, It's my absolute pleasure. I'm so glad you felt inspiration from this post. We writers need that as often as possible. I wish you all the best.;-)

Kelly Polark said...

Why thank you, Debra. What a lovely post!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kelly, You're welcome, honey! Glad you enjoyed it.;-)

Beth said...

What a wonderful attitude, one that boosts everyone up rather than tears others down because of jealousy or cattiness. You have such kindness in you! I also like the thought of recognizing your own self-worth, and knowing that while your creations are a part of you, they aren't the sum of you. Great entry!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

"Vulnerability, you ask?"

Hell, yes!

"may your expressions be real, may your inspiration be bountiful, and may every single one of your sweet dreams come true."

I thank you and I'll work on it.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Beth, Thank you for you always kind words. I love having you "in my life.";-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

MJ, Isn't it amazing how vulnerable we are? At some times more than others, but still. It definitely goes with the artistic territory. Glad you're working on it.;-)

Unknown said...

Today Debra? Can they come true today? Please?

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Suzanne, Today? Sure, why not. Today's a good day.;-)

Mandy said...

Preach on sista! I love it! You're so right.

Have you read the book "Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy"? It's a daily gratitude journal kind of book. I started reading it off and on a few months ago and I'm really enjoying it. The message is exactly what you said, about finding your authentic self and finding simple pleasures in your life. It has some minor religious stuff in there but it's mostly beyond that, (which I think you and I are alike in that manner, that we seek within rather than in organized religion to figure out what makes us happy and we rely on ourselves to be our guide). Anyway, I recommend it.

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I will take them to heart today. ~Mandy

Michelle D. Argyle said...

How beautiful!!! I bow to you too and applaud your efforts, that's for sure. We writers are a bit crazy, I think, for making ourselves so vulnerable. But I can't imagine living any other way. Thank you for these thoughts!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Mandy, I've never heard of it - I'll have to check it out. You're certainly right about the organized religion thing - not so much! I'm glad you loved this post. It's so great getting in touch with your own power.;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Michelle, Yay! I love seeing your beautiful face in my comments section! You're right. How else could we live? It's naked or nothing!!

Laura said...

This was a beautiful, beautiful post. I , like many others, can realte. I struggle every day with having to go to work at a job that affords little to no creativity. The logical part of me knows that I need to stay there in order to pay for life in general. The creative side whispers in my ear to chuck it all, find some corner of this earth and write, write, write.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Lola, I'm so glad you enjoyed the post. Choosing between the "good angel" and the "evil angel" isn't always easy. But, like they say, this ain't no dress rehearsal!

Anonymous said...

:)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Val, Love your comment. Right back atcha!;-)

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I hope I'm one of your artsy friends!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

MJ, You definitely are! I hope I'm one of yours.;-)

Tracy said...

Found you through Travis and so glad I did. This was a great post. Thank you for sharing your wise words of encouragement.

Ann Imig said...

Thank you for this! Yes, I'm listening much more intently to the creative muse these days...

That logical bitch in my brain just pisses me off ;)

Thanks for stopping by Quinn's FAF and following!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Tee, Welcome! Travis is a hoot. Glad you enjoyed the post. It's so important for us to stop, smell the roses, recognize our innate powers,and be eternally grateful.;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Ann, Glad we found each other! That logical bitch really is a bitch!! Thanks for your post w/Quinn - started my day with a smile.;-)

Travis Erwin said...

Sorry I'm late in getting here. great post and I agree. You'll be glad to know I'm already feeling better. just had t vent a bit the other day.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Travis, Glad you made it over! Hope it helped. We all have to vent sometimes. The key is supporting each other when we have our "moments." I hope I helped.;-)

Lilly said...

That was an amazing post De. Inspirational - so much so I am going to print it out to keep referring to!! You really are a wonderful writer.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Lilly, You made my day. I wish we weren't on different sides of the world...

Like Button