Monday, July 6, 2009

Once in a Blue Moon...

My fingers are wearing thin... I'm editing MURDER ON TWILIGHT CIRCLE like a wild maniac. I thought this would be a breeze, just read through my shiny new manuscript, make a few quick changes, and presto-chango - I'm done. NOT!!!!

My writer friend from Ohio (who prefers to rename anonymous for fear of associating with lowlifes like me) and my husband have both read through my entire ms and given me wonderful editing ideas. My sisters and mom are waiting in the wings for my fully edited version so they can then suggest even more edits.

I've already sent off my first six chapters to one awesome agent, and another fantabulous agent is patiently awaiting my refined full. I thought I'd have it done by now but - as happens once in a blue moon - I was wrong. (Stop laughing, I can hear you with my supercharged and freakishly large blogosphere ears.)

So here I sit typing away on my laptop wearing my once perfectly polished fingernails, along with the rest of my fingers, to the bone. And, although I'd love to, I can't complain since I'm loving every minute of it. I just wish I was done so I could send off my requested full and touch up my query and start sending it out as well. I get such a rush when I send out queries! It's like a whole new world of spectacular possibilities opens up. Plus, I'll be able to start my next book, MURDER ON SONGBIRD LANE!

THERE'S A GIRL I KNOW... UPDATE:
The gal I wrote about in my 6.22 post (There's a Girl I Know...) is doing GREAT! Her dad has not had a drink since the day of the incident, and he's going into rehab. She's thrilled at the prospect of her family healing. I'm happy for her and am cautiously optimistic that this will be a beautiful new beginning for her and her family. Thanks to everyone for your good wishes and prayers on her behalf.

24 comments:

Paul Michael Murphy said...

Oh, I remember those days of enjoying the editing process. Now it's pure drudgery.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

"I get such a rush when I send out queries! It's like a whole new world of spectacular possibilities opens up"

I agree. Even if it doesn't all come back good, still the possibility is out there.

I, too, enjoy the editing and rewriting. Gives me a feeling I'm making it better and better. Good luck with it.

Kelly Polark said...

I love the freely creating part. Editing is hard for me (but of course very necessary.) Good luck!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Paul, Oh, please - you're half my age. It's all a state of mind, my friend. Edit with a smile on your face - I dare you.;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

MJ, The only problem with editing, is that I feel like I could do until the end of time. For me, knowing when to stop is the hard part.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kelly, Some people really don't like the editing process. I'm a freak, so I like it. I love filling up the air of the novel balloon. I just have to be sure not to pop it!

Beth said...

Great news on both fronts!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Beth, The second front is really all that matters.;-)

Pen Pen said...

Okay- When ur published and have an 'Agathie Christie-esque' book party, you MUST invite me!!
I've always wanted to have a murder mystery birthday party, and I LOVE a good who done it!!
I hope u finish soon--I underestimate my editing time too-I shoule really just DOUBLE what I THINK it will take and use that as a compass! :)
Your friend is in my thoughts!! I have had some close friends/family with drinking/drug problems, and it's so difficult to get through! Give her BIG hugs for me!

Big Mark 243 said...

You like the editing process ..? I have trouble liking to do that with journal entries, much less a story!!

I always feel that I don't know enough about grammar to edit, so I leave my messes alone. How did it come to where you felt comfortable with your own skills as an editor?

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

PenPen, You'll be the first one on my list! You're so right on the editing time situation. It's taking WAY longer than I'd hoped. However, it's a privilege to be able to work on my writing this intensely.;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Big Mark, Good question. I worked with an editor for a while on my previous novel, and I learned a lot from that experience. I think you just have to trust your own instincts with your writing. I know it sounds crazy, but I really do enjoy the process. Writing is writing and I love to write!

Angie Ledbetter said...

And here we were thinking the writing was the hard part. Ha!

Good luck with the polishing, and happy to hear the update on your friend girl. :)

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Editing is so hard! Especially if people are waiting. But I also feel that editing and revising is where the real magic happens in writing. Good luck!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Angie, I know! What idiots we were!!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Michelle, Editing is definitely where the story gets its wings, so to speak. I'm just hoping it will soar rather than fall flat on its face!!!

Unknown said...

Revising. Very hard! But worth it. Showers help. And Valium. (am I supposed to say that?)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Suzanne, I try to remember to take a shower at least once every other day. And Valium? I thought that put you to sleep. I need speed so I can stay awake and alert 24/7!!!

Sage Ravenwood said...

I'm in the belief any writing, even the horrible revisions is challenging and rewarding. When words feed your soul, any will do.

Thanks for the update. If her father works the program, anything is possible. I wish her and her family all the courage and good vibes they need to get through this. (Hugs)Indigo

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Indigo, I agree with you re: writing - it's all good. I pray her dad will work the program and save his own life and the "life" of his family. Thanks so much for your support.;-)

koralee said...

Wow..you are one busy gal...your an inspiration....I so want to read this book...so good luck on the editing...I am going to hunt down some of your other books..how exciting. Thanks for all the kind words on my blog!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Koralee, If someone was spying on me, I wouldn't look that busy at all. I'm chained to my bed with my laptop protruding from my legs. Not a pretty sight!

Your blog is gorgeous - I love stopping by there. It's what I imagine walking through a Japanese garden would be like - peaceful, relaxing, meditative, inspiring. Thanks for providing such a beautiful space.;-)

Rebecca Anne said...

Editing~
See, I have issues with editing, I can't stop. It's like an addiction. Edit one sentence and I gotta do another. Pretty soon I'm inhaling sentence after sentence and theres no stopping me until all sentence contain oh, a word or two........
In other words, I honor your efforts with true appreciation.
Rebecca

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Rebecca, I'm SO with you!!! I'm in full addiction mode. Help... save me!!!

Like Button