Saturday, January 31, 2009

The ART of Transformation

Transformation
An act, process, or instance of transforming or being transformed.

I'm in the process of fully transforming myself into a published writer. I've just become the Philadelphia Songwriter Examiner (I'll attach the link soon), where I'll write several articles a week on songwriting and the music business locally and in general (yay! and special thanks to Amy for turning me on to the possibility) and I've been bleeding myself dry working 10-12 hours a day going over every word of my novel to the point I can practically recite all 80,000 + words by heart in an effort to make my novel the absolute best it can be. (Given I can barely remember the lyrics to my own songs, this is saying something!)

My book, Sparks Fly Sometimes is about transformation - from a little girl with a dream to a rock goddess to a domestic goddess to a rock/domestic goddess. SFS is an affirmation of dreaming dreams, keeping a marriage alive through good times and bad, surviving the teenage years (your kids, not your own - MUCH more difficult!) and resuscitating dreams you thought were dead and buried. And doing it all with a LOL sense of humor!

I'm also working out regularly at the gym for the first time since I was a cheerleader in high school, transforming my body into a stronger, thinner version of myself. (Never fear. I'll be sure NOT to post any pictures of that bygone era!!)

Transformation can be a simple act. Forgiving yourself. Forgiving someone else. Making a declaration (as in a wedding vow). It can happen in an instant, perhaps in a dream; or as you stare at the ocean mesmerized by the waves, or sit in the mountains listening to the breeze gently blowing through the trees. It can be in a transformational seminar like the Landmark Forum (which I highly recommend) or as a result of a spiritual and/or religious experience or "awakening." Or it can be a process - an ongoing decision to take action in order to move from Point A to Point B.

Recreating yourself - that is the art of transformation.

So, my wonderful blog friends - what are you doing to bring the art of transformation to your lives???;-)

ALSO.... MY FIRST ON-LINE AWARD!!!!
Wendy gave me an award---a really sweet one, too. The Lovey Award is for "blogs that are exceedingly charming. These kind of bloggers aim to find and be friends. They are not interested in self-aggrandizement. Our hope is that when the ribbons of these prizes are cut, even more friendships are propagated. Please give more attention to these writers. Deliver this award to three bloggers who must choose three more and include this cleverly-written text into the body of their award."

THANKS WENDY! Now it's my turn to share the love.

I choose...
Amy
Ray
Joanne

13 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

Very very cool. The meat of your ms sounds a lot like mine. Can't wait to read it soon. :) Ain't the revision process loverly?

Amy Sue Nathan said...

I don't try to transform as much as I try to evolve. I look at transformation as becoming something different or new, and evolution as being an improved version of who you already are...and that's really what I strive for.

And you're going to be on Examiner.com! I'm so proud of you. I'm finding it to be a great gig with a lot of support. What a great way to share your knowledge of songwriting and have a writing clip for your query letters!

((hugs))

Joanne said...

Wow, great changes going on here. Kudos to you for the new writing assignment, you'll love writing music! Will your articles appear on line too? And thanks so much for the award - love that award logo! Will post it later today and pass along the friendships! You rock, Deb!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Angie, I love it, but I'm a freak...!

Amy, Transformation is evolution on speed. And, yes I'm so excited about the Examiner.com gig! Thanks SO much for letting me know about it.

Joanne, Yes, my articles will appear on line. I'll be sure to post the link as soon as I have it. And, you're welcome. You deserve it!

Kathryn Magendie said...

How wonderful with the new gig! I love new adventures!

(and thanks for signing up for the R&T newsletter! *smiling*)

Anonymous said...

Your ms sounds wonderful!

I'm moving slowly from point A to point B, slowly, still I'm moving.

Tena Russ said...

Hi,

Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog. I haven't posted much since I've been working on my novel. I am relieved to say that it is now DONE.

The Faulkner conference is lots of fun! You can meet agents and editors, and other writers. Loads of southern charm... Check out the website. I wish you good luck if you decide to submit your manuscript :-)

Tena

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Debra,
My first visit to your site and I'll definitely return. As you know, I'm all about transformation, Transformative Truths, etc. Right now what am I doing? I'm doing a new meditation practice that actually seems to be working, which is an absolute miracle because I am certain I have the busiest mind on the planet. The practice is transforming me, settling me down into quieter places in myself than I've ever known before. Yeah!

Blessings to you and on your new projects. They all sound great. Yes, editing those manuscripts over and over again are a killer. :-) I was ssooo happy to hand mine off. I thought that day would never come (sigh of gratitude).

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kat, (You do go by Kat, right?) I'm excited about Roses and Thorns. I have some poetry I'm thinking of submitting...

Kimmi, Action is the key. I hope to meet you at Point B!

Tena, Thanks for the info on the Faulkner Conf. and for the encouragement. And, best of luck with your book.

Jan, You seem like the kind of person I wish lived next door and could be my best friend. Bringing transformation to the world - not a bad gig!

CoreyBlake said...

Congrats on your novel. I wandered onto your blog from your postings on Nathan's blog. I'm glad I peaked. You seem pretty kick ass. I wish you the best with your writing!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Corey, Thanks. I try to be pretty kick-ass. It's nice when someone notices. You seem fairly bad-ass yourself. (Is that the same? Or more like an evil twin or messed up cousin?)

Elizabeth said...

Your book sounds great, I love to read about people's fearless transformations. It's what it's all about sista.
Hey your blog is looking really nice, snazzy.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Elizabeth, Thanks. My blog underwent a transformation as well!

Like Button