Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Keep On Truckin', Baby!

Blog Transformation
First of all, thanks to my dear on-line friend Elizabeth for acknowleging my blog's new and improved look. How do the rest of you folks feel about it? (This is the part where you clap and cheer and yell things like "bravo!" or "Go Steelers!" or "Pass the damn ketchup!") My marketing background likes things to look pretty and clearly represent what's inside the package. My blog agrees, and being the elevated being that it is, experienced its own transformation a couple of days ago. So it and I would like some well-deserved acknowledgement, thank you very much. (I'm a rock goddess and a Jewish American Princess - my ego can never be fully satisfied.)

Keep on Truckin', Baby!
I'm currently in wait mode. I have three requested partials out along with several queries. I'm taking my time with the query process, trying to do my due diligence and vetting in a responsible manner. After the ugly mess the GOP made with Sarah Palin, I think patience and thoughtful reflection are a better alternative. I'd rather have no agent than the equivalent of one with the literary expertise and brains of Sarah Palin. (Sorry, my bad. I should never use "expertise" "brains" and "Sarah Palin" in the same sentence.) I think it's important to find an agent who'll be excited about my work and, therefore, enthusiastically represent me to the owners of Random House over tea and crumpets. (That's how it works, right?)

In the meantime, I'm gonna keep on truckin'. I've got two major projects that will hopefully keep me out of trouble:

1) Writing articles for my new gig as Philadelphia Songwriter Examiner. The powers that be are still working on getting me up and running, but I'm told I should be good to go by the end of this week or early next week. At least four articles per week seems daunting, but I love a good challenge. Plus, songwriting and the music biz are endlessly fascinating - I look forward to learning more about my first love. (Sorry, Chuck. I didn't want to have to break it to you this way...)

2) Birthing a new book. Thankfully, this process is far less painful than the more commonly birthed items. (It's not wrong to call a baby an item, is it?) There's a character in my novel named Bree Lang. She's a gorgeous, rich, bisexual red-head who's an assistant D.A. and is friends with Jenny, my mc. Jenny's jealous of Bree because she gets to investigate all kinds of gory, exciting murders (Jenny's a certified true-crime freak.) I think Bree and Jenny will embark on a murder-in-the-burbs mystery in my follow-up novel. I'm really kinda sorta liking that idea. (Sorry for the highbrow prose. Please try to keep up.)

What about you? What are you working on as we speak?

20 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Query Query Query
think about small press
query more
push aside idea for new book again
query
yoga yoga
yoga

Joanne said...

Most definitely am enjoying the new design, esp the background color, very soft. I like that there's not too much clutter on it too, which shines the light on your posts/writing. Nice job.

I like the two projects you have going on, very exciting! I'm querying, finetuning a manuscript (I think that's an infinite process), waiting to hear back on a couple projects. Basically all's quiet at the moment.

Amy Sue Nathan said...

Love the new look.

Remember Examiner articles are short, it's not as daunting as it seems. Can't wait for you to get into it.

You know me, I'm steeped in my book and trying to keep it all afloat.

Anonymous said...

Bravo on proper vetting! Absolutely! I enjoy the new design.

I'm glad you're birthing a new book during the query process -- it always takes some of the pressure off.

What am I doing? Writing the third book in the Jain Lazarus series and juggling two plays on deadlines, and trying to fill in with shorter, quicker articles with quick pay turnaround. Oh, and teaching a workshop for an online conference this week.

L.C. Gant said...

Great post today, Debbie! Very fun. Congrats on your gig with the Examiner. Love the new blog design, too!

Best of luck to you in the query process. I know the waiting is hard, but I think you're wise to take it slow. I wouldn't want Sarah Palin for an agent either, LOL!

As for me, I'm hard at work on my project for the Just Write Challenge, a YA sci-fi novel. I figure if I tell everyone I know about it, I'll be even more motivated to meet my goal. It's working well so far!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Elizabeth, Remember the sage advice I gave you re: small press, and yoga is the answer to all of life's problems big and small. ;-)

Joanne, I'm glad you like the new look. I couldn't agree more about fine tuning being an infinite process! Every time I send out a query with some pages attached, those same pages are changed within 24 hours. How do I STOP THE MADNESS?

Amy, Thanks, girlfriend. Examiner articles short. Novel long. Patience short. Agent response time long...

Devon, Good for you for teaching a conference and on your third book in a series. It must feel so good to be published! One day soon, I'll be joining you in the ranks...

LC, Agent Sarah Palin - sounds frightening! (Maybe Secret Agent for the KGB if she'd promise to stay in Russia, which she can see from her house!) I'd love to hear more about the Just Write Challenge - keep up the writing - meet your goals!

L.C. Gant said...

Thanks for the support! I'll keep you updated on my challenge progress. FYI - I linked to your post on my blog today. Check it out whenever you have time.

Anonymous said...

Followed you from Angie's blog. I'm birthing while querying as well, switching out my two hats daily so I keep them close by.

Good luck to you! And keep reading Good In Bed! It's gold! And so freakin funny!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

L.C., Thanks for the link!!! And, do keep me posted on the challenge.

Sharla, Welcome to my blog. Good luck with the new baby. I hope he/she is healthy, happy, smart and big. (Approx. 20", 7 lbs and 100K words!) I know I'll finish "Good in Bed" it's just going to take more time than usual...

Anita said...

Sounds like you've got a lot going on...change is often good, so yay for you and the "new" blog.

Angie Ledbetter said...

The blogovations are real easy on the eyes! Good luck with the partials and querying. Do ya need a Lamaze coach for the birthing? :)

Anonymous said...

Well I'm excited to say, joanne and I are almost real artists now!
Markel has our work on display at the Diving Cat!
Joanne did a piece herself, and I retained the help of 5 ladies from the superbowl party, to create a superbowl theme piece..Oh my what a blast it was!
So now we are on our way to stardom, too!

Keith H

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Anita, Thanks - as you know better than anyone, it's good to keep busy!

Angie, A Lamaze coach? Huh. There may be a whole 'nother career line here. And with this economy...

Keith, You kill me. Congrats on having your art at the Diving Cat. She must really like it! And five ladies helped out. Hmmm. I guess that means you don't need my esteemed "help" anymore.

Mollie said...

You changed your blog? (read here: Did you get a haircut, new glasses, lose 30 lbs, grow a second nose etc...)
I promise to take the chair out of the van today and to begin the repair.
I'm afraid of your Asst. DA character....VERY afraid...

Vikki said...

Hey, Debra! Blog makeovers are so much fun! Okay...maybe not as much fun as real life makeovers, but still, yours looks fab!

Currently, I am fighting tooth and nail with my WIP. It wants to just sit around, eat chips and watch marathons of Law & Order. So, I'm bribing it with things like shopping trips and gourmet chocolate, just so it will cooperate. We'll see...:>)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Mollie, WHAT??? You haven't taken the chair out yet? Are you trying to tell me you have some kind of life or something? And, yes, you should be afraid of Bree. She'll kick your ass and seduce you at the same time. That's some serious danger.;-)

Vivi, Glad you like the makeover, but you're right - a facial and a massage would have been WAY better. RE: your WIP - they can be like spoiled children (or grown women, depending how you look at it.) Hang in there and show it whose boss! Force it to eat more chocolate and buy you a new outfit. Wrestle it to the ground if you have to. Do whatever it takes.

Anonymous said...

Debbie, I could defintely use your esteemed help....this is only the beginning.
Much more work to do.

Keith H

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Keith, I'll check the girl's schedule, if you know what I mean, and get back to you. They seem to be fairly freed up these days...:-(

Mollie said...

The chair is essentially finished - It just needs some wood putty and a little sanding. Get off me. If you'd stop having threesomes with the asst. DA on the kitchen chairs, they wouldn't need repair.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Mollie, Who do you think you are trying to spoil all my fun? Just keep sanding and leave me to my wild, exciting life.

Like Button