Thursday, January 15, 2009

What Happens in the Backyard, Stays in the Backyard

Where Were You, Dusty???
"Mom," Ethan said as he walked into my room last night. I'd just returned from dinner and was checking my e-mail. I turned around and saw him holding Dusty. I fell to my knees. I couldn't get up. Where's the damn clap-on, clap-off. when you need it? "I found him out on our back deck next to the laundry basket!" he yelled.

I couldn't believe I was looking into the eyes of my beautiful baby again. Ethan brought him up a bowl of food and water that disappeared faster than chocolate chip cookies hot out of the oven.

"Where were you, Dusty?" I asked over and over. But he wasn't talking. "I'll be your ghostwriter. Just tell me your story!" Still, nothing. I'm not sure if he's in negotiations with Random House and thinks he's going to be the next Dewey or Marley, or if he met up with the Foxy Gambino mob with their big, red, bushy tails who warned him if he says one word about their secret outdoor life, they'd knock off our whole family one by one. All I know is he's not talking. But way more importantly, he's home!!!!!!

To all my on-line friends: I can't tell you how much it meant to me to hear your words of encouragement and support. It really did help us stay positive and keep hoping for the best. And, it snowed last night - I would have been an even bigger basket case if he hadn't come home.

On other news, I got a pass from one of the agents. I'm disappointed, but from where I stand the good news far outweighs the bad.

16 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

Yay on Dusty's homecoming. On the agent passing, well, that one didn't have the right set of eyeballs for your book. :)

Mollie said...

$200 bucks it had something to do with women. I've seen that look in his eyes...

Ray Veen said...

May good things happen to you before every rejection.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Angie - Thanks for the eyeballs comment. You, my friend, are a keeper.

Mollie - What? You mean Emma, Tiger Lilly and his sister, Caramel (cats don't mind incest, do they?) aren't women enough for Big D? Maybe he was tired of the same-old, same-old and wanted more variety. Men!

Ray - You mean there will be more than one? (How many did you have before Ethan E. recognized your true genius?)

Ray Veen said...

Close to four hundred. Easily. Fiersom's Brood is my tenth book.

Anita said...

Let Dusty's return be a lesson to you regarding queries...do not give up hope!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Ray - Your tenth book? Holy crap. This is only my second. When were you first published?

Anita - Love the lesson. Great point!

Joanne said...

Glad Dusty's back, even though the cat's got his tongue! Sorry about the pass, though, but like Anita's philosophy. Got to get right back in the arena.

Anonymous said...

Three cheers for Dusty!!

Is there any truth to the rumor that he catwalked down to D.C. to get Inaugural tickets?

(Any cat of yours would be SO ready to party...)

Amie said...

Hooray for returned kitties! The laundry basket trick reunites another family!

Sorry about the agent, and I "third" Angie's philosophy.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Joanne - Thank you so much. The relief is palpable. The pass is actually a blessing. She gave me very good advice that I am actively pursuing.

FL - DC? I never thought of that! Good point!!!

WE - Thank you SO MUCH for your suggestion! I'll never know if he just wandered back on to the deck or if it was the laundry, but I'm willing to bet the latter. BTW: Even my vet hadn't heard of that trick and thought it was a great idea! I owe you!

WendyCinNYC said...

Yay for Dusty.

Boo to the agent.

Kathryn Magendie said...

oh! home home home! *smiling* happy for you...!

As for the agent - what Angie said...! and big plain too!

Erich said...

OMG! Just reading this and didn't realize he had been gone. SOOO cool that he's back :-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Erich, You have no idea. Every time I look at him I feel so grateful. BTW: I'm editing the part in my book about a certain week I spent in California writing songs (and various other activities) with my future husband's best friend. Ring any bells?

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful!!! I'm so glad to hear that Dusty is back and safe and sound. :-)

Like Button