Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Breakdowns Lead to Breakthroughs!


Breakdowns Lead to Breakthroughs!
Last night I was in a bad mood. Dark, ugly, unapproachable, cranky, and mean. If you don't believe me, ask Chuck. He said I was acting - and I quote - "like a bitch." What terrible incident invoked my horrible mood? I got a pass on a little, nothing, inconsequential website thing I'd applied to and felt like someone sliced a knife through my heart. (Not that I know what that feels like. But once a Drama Queen always a Drama Queen.) What the hell was my problem? Hormones? Misaligned stars? Lack of wine &/or chocolate? No, no, and no. The problem was my ego. Damn that thing! Why can't the universe simply revolve around me when I want it to? Is that so much to ask?

So, I e-mailed Amy and begged her to save my bleeding soul. (I know, first it was my heart, than my soul. I was a bloody mess.) She came through in flying colors. She directed me to an agent's site who was asking for quick pitches. She said, "Hurry! This special sale is only good for one day!" Or words to that effect. I clicked on the link and threw my pitch into the ring. Within an hour, the agent asked for my first 20 pages. Voila! Ego placated. Bad mood gone. I also resubmitted to little, nothing, inconsequential website for another try. (No word back on that yet.) As Ellen DeGeneres wrote, "My point, and I do have one" is that when you're feeling down, low, blue, useless, worthless, FILL IN THE DEPRESSING BLANK, that is precisely when you need to jump right back up on that beautiful, white horse and ride off into the sunset! (Can you tell I was reading fairy tales to my cousins last weekend?) REMEMBER THIS: Breakdowns often lead to breakthroughs. (Or, in more colorful language, don't let the bastards bring you down!)

BTW: I was just over on Angie's blog and promised to add a link to mine. Here it is. It's a very cool give-away. Check it out!

12 comments:

Ray Veen said...

Partial requests are crack for the ego.

BTW, I don't think I've ever heard you talk about your book. What's it about? (potential blog post material)

Anonymous said...

Aww, Deb, many many thanks. Oh, oh, lurvers your cats' names. Hey you, big congrats on that request, that's AWESOME!!!! And don't you forget it--or let 'em keep you down for long. Get back up fighting and send out those queries--just takes one. ; )
hugs

Elizabeth said...

Are you willing to share the site asking for pitches?

Anita said...

Good luck on the partial!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Ray, Crack for the ego - I love it!!! Book? What book? Just kidding. I promise I'll do a post about it soon.

Kimmi - Welcome to my blog! Thanks for the support. This on-line writer's community is truly amazing.

Elizabeth - Sorry, honey. It was only through today at noon. The website is:http://johnsonlitagency.wordpress.com/

Anita - Thanks!;)

L.C. Gant said...

At least you had a legitimate reason to be upset. I've been cranky for the last few days for no reason at all. LOL!

All in all, I think you handled the whole thing beautifully. You reached out to a fellow writer when you needed support, picked yourself up, dusted yourself off and went right back at it again. Good for you! Way to turn a negative into a positive!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Aww, quit being cranky or I'll come kidnap ya cat! :) And thanks for the linky love leading to Kimmi's contest. So happy about your partial (I sound like an old lady talking to her friend about new dental work.) LOL

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

L.C., That sounds like a Broadway musical I once saw! But, thanks. We all have to remember to help each other out when those ugly, self-doubting monsters creep in to scare the living sh*t out of us!

Angie,It does kind of sound medical - like a hip replacement or something. "Well, Norma, I'm headin' in to the doc's office this afternoon for a partial. I'm lucky, he's only taking out one of my hips. I should be home in time for supper!"

Elizabeth said...

I'm laughing at myself, because the link you posted is from an agency that just sent me a rejection today. Thanks anyway.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Elizabeth, Like I said, don't let the bastards get you down! ;-)

Joanne said...

Congrats on the request. That's where it all begins! Fingers crossed for more good news.

And thanks so much for the kind thoughts this past week, they were so appreciated. We're feeling better each day. Btw, The pic was taken at the Niantic Diner :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you. The best thing to do after a rejection is to immediately make another pitch.

Then you get the better gig and you wind up being glad of the rejection, because otherwise that other door wouldn't have opened.

Congrats to you!

Besides, there's nothing wrong with being a bitch. Bitches are pro-active, not RE-active, and they get more done.

Like Button