Wednesday, September 30, 2009

HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY TO... ME!

I never thought this day would arrive, but here it is… MY BLOGIVERSARY! Go ahead, sing. I'll wait...

That was lovely, really. Who knew you had such a nice voice?

149 posts and 365 days later, here we are. Yes, ladies and gents, it’s been exactly one year since I first started this little blog 'o mine, and if truth be told, I’m feeling quite verklempt. I’m keeping a box of tissues on hand in case my tears spill over onto my laptop. I have so many people to thank for my award-winning blog, (see “Blog Bling” on the right hand side of page) but I think I'll choose just one:

I'd like to thank the one man who started me on my path to writing stardom. The first guy who really "got" my writing. His name is Mr. Douglas. Well, actually, that’s not his name. Truth is, I'm getting old and I honestly can’t remember his name. [Message from Tatiana, the Subliminal Message Goddess: It has nothing to do with her age. She's always been bad with names. She blames her dad.] Anyway, the man who I’ll call “Mr. Douglas” was my eighth grade teacher, and he was visionary enough to give me an A+ on a paper I titled, The Murder of Mr. T.J. Donahue. Seriously. A. +. [Tatiana: She remembers names of random middle school papers, but forgets names of people she knows well. Just sayin'.] The assignment was to incorporate 15 unrelated words into a paper. We could write about anything we wanted, which I thought was like majorly bitchin' cool dude. I, of course, chose a murder mystery. The only words on the list I couldn’t seem to weave into my brilliant essay were “biscuits” and “chestnuts.” So, you ask, how was the killer finally nabbed in The Murder of Mr. T.J. Donahue? Great question! Thanks for asking! [T: Is it just me? Or is she like nails on a chalkboard?] He was the guy who mumbled, “Shut up and eat your biscuits and chestnuts!” See why I got an A+? [T: Um. No we don't.]

Now, in order to demonstrate the mind-numbing changes that have occurred for me over this past, glorious year, the year in which I've penned two novels with two more on the way (not much easier than giving actual birth, by the way), I’ve decided to use visual aids. Like they say, a picture paints a thousand words. So here is a “before” and “after” shot.

The picture on the left is me a year ago - sad, unfulfilled, lacking in so many obvious ways. I mean, look at that fake smile. RIDICULOUS! And the picture on the right was taken yesterday - happy, self-confident, full of joy. See the arms crossed? Now, that's self-confidence!

Mind blowing difference, no? What? You don’t see much change? You like the picture on the left better?? You know, now that I look at them, I think you’re right. [T: She's so vain it's borderline insane. Hey! That rhymed!] There isn’t much difference. At least not on the surface...

You see, I’m convinced my DNA has undergone a major transformation over the past 365 days, particularly in the area of the publishing biz. I’ve taken it upon myself to learn as much as I can, and I think I’ve done a bang-up job. For example, I now know the difference between the terms, “Agent” and “God.” One is an omnipotent, breathtaking, transformative being and the other is “God.” (Thanks, folks. I’ll be appearing every Wednesday night at the “Sinner’s Lounge” in Hellfire, NB.) [T: She's not only vain, she thinks she's funny. What could be worse? I could tell a better joke with my one eye closed and my wings tied behind my back. Seriously. I could. I mean, if I had to. What are you waiting for? A joke? I don't feel like telling one now. But if I did, it would be like WAY funnier than hers. Pinky swear.]

I promised a certain someone cake and balloons. The cake's above and here are the balloons. Grab your favorite color and dig in to the chocolate. Hell, take two pieces. Three, even! Make a holy freaking pig of yourself. Remember what mama said: virtual calories don't count!!

[T: Here's where she gets all sappy. You may want to click out now. Don't say I didn't warn you...] The way I see it, the success of this blog is not due to the silly words I string together in my posts. It’s due to the amazing comments in the “Comments” section. For me, that’s where the magic of this blog was, is, and always will be. If you want to leave a comment as to your favorite memory or what you like most about my humble little abode here on the world wide web, feel free. There's no pressure. I mean you don't have to or anything. It would just put a Texas-sized smile on my face and like totally make my day. (I was raised Jewish and I married a Catholic. I've got the guilt thing covered.) [T: She's also got the annoying thing covered.]

So, to each and every person who has read my blog and/or posted comments over this past year, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. As Margaret and Helen – the 80-Something Blog Goddesses who I dream of writing like - say, “I mean it. Really.”

May beauty, joy, health, laughter, and happiness guide you on your journey. Namaste.

[T: She thinks she's all Zen and stuff.]
Tatiana, you know what? [T: What?] I CAN HEAR YOU!!! [T: You can? Oh. Right. PSYCHE!!!]

49 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY, Schube! Isn't it weird we started our bloggy journeys only a few weeks apart a YEAR AGO this month? Many many more good years to you ahead!!

Mem-riessssss (Oh, wait, that was Carol Burnette who snuck in a moment to sing)...you know I'll always associate you with those disgusting furballs you have skittering about your house, but in a good memory kinda way. :D

Huggage!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Oh, wheeeeeee, I got to be first!!!!!

Ann Imig said...

Happy, Happy! What a huge accomplishment. We started blogging exactly 12 days apart from one another.

Tweeting...

xo

Mandy said...

You are funny! I'll be happy to join you in that sinner's lounge too. I'll throw out my own one-liners! :-)

Happy One Year! So glad I found you. Wait I think you found me from one of my clever comments I left on another's blog.

Here is a little something I wrote in your honor today:

Write on Targer turns one year today
Just look at Debra shine
She's successful, talented, charming
I'm so glad she's a virtual friend of mine

I raise my glass, I raise it again
I sing her praises with a toast
She is a person I have come to admire
Don't tell the other bloggers.... but I like her the most!

:-)

Love ya,
Congrats!
Mandy

Beth said...

Haha! This entry had me grinning the whole time. I could almost hear the rim shots and "Be sure to tip your waiters and waitresses!"

Congrats on your blogiversary. I read something recently about how few people stick with a blog and write in it consistently. People start off with good intentions, but life gets in the way or boredom sets in, and another one bites the dust. Congrats on being in it for the long haul (a year definitely constitutes the long haul), even while continuing to write your novels. I applaud you! [clap clap clap]

Hugs, Beth

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Angie, You'll always be number one in my book!!

Ann, I'm glad we found each other & thanks for the tweet!!

Mandy, That poem is golden. You win the prize. Go ahead. Take the whole cake. You deserve it!

Beth, Know what I love about you? You "get" my dumb jokes and like me anyway. ;-)

The Peach Tart said...

Happy One Year Blogging Anniversary. The traditional gift for a one year anniversary is paper. How apropos.

May all the paper you create with your wonderful writings be inspiration and creative and published soon.

Amy Sue Nathan said...

Mazel tov Deb!!! Many more happy blogiversaries are in your future, I can feel it! ((hugs))

Alan Orloff said...

Happy Blogiversary!

Keep on blogging!

Susan R. Mills said...

Happy Blogiversary! We're celebrating over at my place, too. Not my blogiversary, but 100 posts.

Daisy Whitney said...

Congrats! Your blog is a good one too! And I can't wait when you are published to tell everyone I knew you when you were searching for God! I mean, an agent!

Julie said...

Congrats to my best writer friend. Thanks for always being there for me, on blog and off, and for nudging me (with a baseball bat) out of anonymity (I mean, really, you posted a picture of me on your blog)! Who knows what's next? A blog of my own? Twitter? I know that you'll keep challenging me to grow and be with me when the growing pains hit.

I look forward to the days ahead, while we share in each other's ups and downs, knowing that everything will happen the way it is meant to. And the only real responsibility we have in this journey is to show up, tell our tales, and work our butts off.

All the best,

Julie Nelson

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Deborah, I love that you realized the first anniversary gift is paper. How perfect is that?!

Amy, You will always hold the place of my first real friend on the internet, and I will always love you for that. Hugs right back atcha!

Alan, Thanks bunches. I'm so glad you joined my party!

Susan, Thanks and I'll stop by your place to party there as well.

Daisy, Is it wrong that I'd rather find "Agent" than "God"?? No, don't answer that...

Julie, You are my dearest writer friend in the whole world. How can I thank you for being that special person? I can't. Suffice it to say, I love you. I appreciate you. I admire you. And, I deeply, deeply thank you. ;-)

Tana said...

Happy blogversarry!!!!!!! I'll take a purple balloon and a corner pice of cake, thank you very much ;)

writtenwyrdd said...

Happy blogoverssary! I have found a number of insightful posts here and hope to read many more!

mo.stoneskin said...

*da da* *da doo* *dingaling* *tappity tap tap* *sob sob*

What was that? I hear you ask.

It was the sound of unalloyed jubilation and tears of joy, the sound of little dancing feet and fanfares sounding from miniature accordions.

But from who? I hear you ask.

God knows, but whoever they are they are celebrating.

Glynis Peters said...

Congratulations, Khronia Polla (Greek for Happy Birthday/many more years).
Keep having fun!

Travis Erwin said...

Happy blogiversary!

Kasie West said...

T was killing me with her subliminal messages. Love them. :) Made me laugh. And that's my memory of your blog: You always know how to make me laugh.

Happy blogiversary!!!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

T. Anne, Thank you so much! Help yourself to as many purple balloons and corner pieces as you like.

WW, Why, thank you. Your words are most kind.

mo, Wow, it sure got noisy in here!

Glynis, I wish I knew how to say, "You're Welcome!" in Greek!!

Travis, Thank you!

Kasie, If I make you laugh, then my work here is done. ;-)

Kiersten White said...

Happy bloggy birthday, dear Debra : ) You are a joy, both on your own blog and all the blogs you are thoughtful enough to comment on! And you're even cooler now that you've finally figured out YA is where it's at.

Laptop said...

Forget your blog's birthday, when are you going to rescue me from Kiersten?

I am still waiting. And obsolescing as we speak.

Kelly Polark said...

Happy Blogiversary, Debra! Love your positive attitude and sass that your bring to the blogosphere!

WendyCinNYC said...

Happy blog birthday, Write on Target!

They grow up so fast.

Sage Ravenwood said...

Happy Blogiversary! I'm so delighted I've had a chance to get to know you through this venue.

Speaking for myself I know my blog has had a tremendous effect on my own writing. We do go through a transformation. I agree the comments enliven the experience and keep us writing. (Hugs)Indigo

Ken Riches said...

Hap, Hap, Happy Blogiversary :o)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kiersten, Sorry it took me so long to see the obvious. I'm a little stubborn. (Just ask my mom, dad, husband, or anyone who knows me.) I've adored "meeting" you on line, and who knows, maybe one of these days we'll meet in person. That would be too much fun.;-)

Laptop, I love you. There. I said it.

Kelly, You have the brightest smile on all the internet! I love your energy. Thanks for being on this ride with me.

Wendy, You know this is all your fault, right? (((hugs)))

Indigo, You're a gem. I'm honored to know you. You give me strength and inspiration and I thank you.

Ken, Thank, thank, thank you!!! ;-)

Jemi Fraser said...

Tossing confetti here! Congrats on your year and a great blog. Cake please :)

Unknown said...

Happy Happy JOY JOY!!!!!

What would it be like without you?
No fun at all.

Sandra Leigh said...

Happy Blogiversary to you,
Happy Blogiversary to you,
Happy Blogiversary, dear Debra,
Happy Blogiversary to you -
...and many more.

p.s. Nice balloons.

Chuck Schubert said...

Happy anniversary honey!! You are GRRRRREAT!! Love, Tony the Tiger
P.S. make us rich, so I can retire. I am sick of my job.......

Paul Michael Murphy said...

Congratulations!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Jemi, Help yourself to some cake, and thanks for the confetti! It gives such a festive feeling to the place.;-)

Suzanne, As always, you are way too kind. Much appreciated!

Sandra, Beautiful rendition! And, yeah, that's what my husband says.

Speaking of...

Chuckie, You're my man, like it or not. And, while I appreciate your thinking I could make big bucks at this, you might want to keep your day job. ;-)

Murph, Thanks, buddy!

Lisa said...

Have a great day celebrating this milestone event! I love keeping up with you through the blogosphere and wish you much success in your new books! Thanks for the laughs today...hugs and high fives!

Aline said...

Happy day! Now I'm going to be hearing you in my head singing "This little blog of mine, I'm gonna let it shine," all day.

Found you recently and looking forward to the next year.

Bill Cameron said...

Congratulations! We have something in common. I think it was just about one year ago today that I last blogged!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Lisa, I love you and can't wait to see you again. Sometime soon, I hope!!

Aline, Welcome, welcome! I'm so glad you found me. I'll do my best not to bore you to tears.;-)

Bill, What can I say? Great minds think alike. You keep me smiling, my friend, and for that there is no way to thank you. ;-)

Fragrant Liar said...

Happy Blog'sary! That's a lot of writing, even for a writer!

Which brings me to this: two books in one year!? Girlfriend! That's all kinds of awesomeness rolled into two plots! I bow to you. These days I only WISH my muse were as gung-ho.

Congrats!

MichBish said...

Congratulations, Deb!! I LOVE your blog - everytime I forget how wonderful and witty you are I just pull it up and VOILA; it puts a smile on my face and gives me somethign to ponder:) And even though your blog is 346 days older than Devyn, she is already your biggest fan. She can't wait for you to autograph her diapers.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

FL, Ah, you're muse is there. She's just getting some R&R. We all need some of that from time to time.;-)

Mish, WooHoo! 5 days until I get to hold that little angel in my arms. And, I'm so glad you love my blog. Gives me the warm fuzzies. ;-)

(BTW: There's a Devyn in my new book!)

Unknown said...

One year of nothing but pure writing delight splashed on post to post! Here's to many, many more wonderful years of blogging.

Now, please hand over the cake and no one will get hurt!

Ray Veen said...

It's weird cuz I really feel like we've been blog buddies a lot longer.

Anyway, happy blogiversary.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

CCD, You're far too kind. And, because of that, you may have as much virtual cake as you wish. Just remember to put the plate in the dishwasher.

Ray, I know, doesn't it? It's been a crazy year. Hopefully, this next one will be a turning point for both of us. ;-)

Devon Ellington said...

Happy Blogiversary! Congratulations!

Stephanie said...

HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY!
Debra I can so relate to this post. I only forayed into the world of writing and publishing months ago ago and my life's trajectory has changed significantly ever since. It's been exhausting but exhilarating and hopefully full of promise.
Your jokes were lol funny. Thanks for letting us know where you'll be "appearing!"
Congratulations!! May the years ahead be full or promise and success!
Stephanie

nsiyer said...

Happy Blog Anniversary. That is nice to know and wish too.

I have not been seeing you in my blog. Your coming over is a previlege.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Congratulations on making it a year!
Love your blog :)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Devon, Thank you!!

Stephanie, Thank you so much for your kind words. And, I agree. May the years ahead be full of promise and success for us all!

nsiyer, It is my privilege whenever you bless my blog with your presence. I will do my best not to miss any more of your posts!

Sherrie, Thanks so much for your good wishes. It's great "sharing" this journey with you.

Pen Pen said...

Hey, D!
I've been kind of looking around at posts I may have missed, and I missed THIS one on urs!! AHH!!
HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY!!!

I was so excited the first day I found ur blog cuz I could tell instantly that we similar personalities and interests! It was like when I met the love of my life, or when I met my best friend--I just KNEW instantly that I had to get to know you a lot better!! :)
AND- MY FAVORITE post is an old one that I just happened to read one day with this guy who called cuz a girl had given him the wrong number at a bar the night before and u answered-and compared it to THe 'Truman Show'! I need to search ur blog for it now, cuz I want to read it again! It was SO hilarious! :)

Like Button