Monday, September 7, 2009

Home Sweet Home! Or Chelsea Handler Girl Crush, Buddha Revisions, & Baby Watch

The bad news and the good news is we're back from the beach. It's bad because I love the beach. I love everything about it. The glistening ocean, the waves crashing on the shore, the seagulls, the sand, the shells, the hot guys on surfboards, and especially the beach chair equipped with cup holder.

The good news is, I love being home. Home Sweet Home. In fact, I recently won a contest where you had to describe "home" in five words. My winning entry was: Home is where I'm complete. I know, sappy, but true. But, hey, I won a copy of, "After You," by Julie Buxbaum, so it was well worth straining my brain cells for!

Back to my weekend. Here I am with the lovely Allison Winn Scotch's amazing book "Time of My Life." Don't we look happy together? Yes, we were. In fact, we still are, since I'm not done reading it yet. But, I am loving it. If you haven't picked yourself up a copy, what are you waiting for? Hurry, run! Before they're all gone! I also managed to get a good amount of writing done on the beach. This was an unexpected bonus, since I gave myself a writing break over the weekend.

On Saturday night, we took a leisurely (NOT!) hour and a half drive down to Atlantic City to see one of my all-time heroes - the beautiful and hilarious Chelsea Handler. Man, do I have a girl crush! Here are a few pics. Note the shoes. They were like butta. I wanted to jump on stage, kiss her cute face, and rip those shoes right off her feet. Can you blame me? Do you see those shoes? (You're welcome for the close-up.) Thankfully, self-control got the better of me, but, trust me, it wasn't easy.

How's my writing going, you ask? Totally freaking awesome, that's how it's going. Of course, that may be a total lie. I'm about halfway through my first draft, so at this point, I have no clear idea if the story makes any sense at all. That's okay, though. I'm having fun. I love the characters and the dialogue, and I'm fairly sure there's a cohesive story there somewhere. We'll see what happens after the first draft is done. That's when Buddha steps in. He's the guy who invented revisions and editing. Yeah, that's right. Revisions and editing were Buddha's ideas. He wasn't just fat, he was smart as well. And, that, my friends, explains why writing is such a spiritual experience.

IN OTHER NEWS...
My family and I are on 'baby watch' for my youngest sister. I try not to call her my "little" sister or "baby" sister anymore - she doesn't like those endearing terms. She's 9 months pregnant, so I suppose little or baby are wildly inappropriate. She's due any minute. Literally. Any. Minute. Her due date is... TODAY! We're holding our collective breath and anxiously waiting itty-bitty-baby-Bischoff. Come out, little baby (words used appropriately here). Come out and play with Aunt Debbie! Uh, oh. I hope that's not why the baby hasn't come out yet...

31 comments:

Mandy said...

Oh please tell us all about those fruity beach drinks you had?! :-)

That is so awesome that you saw your female crush Chelsea. I finally picked up a copy of her book and started reading it like you suggested. I almost peed my pants and I'm still not done yet so I probably will have to borrow my daughter's diaper. ;-)

I'm so glad Buddha is sitting on your shoulder as you write. I can't wait to learn more about your story.

Fingers crossed that Auntie Debbie's baby butter ball comes out soon, kicking with personality, but not with Chelsea's shoes on (that would hurt her mama~)!

And no, there is no "agent" in my future. If there was a secret agent in my life, I'd be sure to send him/her to your doorstep. :-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Mandy, I'm so glad you're enjoying Chelsea. She's got two books out and a third on the way. It's called, "Chelsea, Chelsea, Bang! Bang!" I'm so excited about my new little niece or nephew! No agent, huh? so what's the secret? Is it a very small secret?;-)

Jemi Fraser said...

Welcome back, Debra. Vacations are wonderful, but so is coming home! Sounds like a great time - and those are truly excellent shoes :)

Ken Riches said...

Glad you had a great getaway :o)

Also glad to know that my Budda Belly means I am smart LOL :o)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Jemi, We did have a great time, but it's nice to be home w/my kitties. ;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Ken, Absolutely your Buddha belly means you're smart! You can tell Beth I said so.;-)

Beth said...

Don't worry, I know the Buddha belly means smarts! ;)

Cuuuute shoes. Love that T-strap/gladiator thing. Glad you had a great time, and I share your love of the beach. I love the sound of the ocean. [sigh]

Dammit, and I have to wait till December to get some beach time...Cabo, bay-beee! XOXO Beth

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Beth, December will be here before you know it, which means my birthday will be, too! Woohoo! Lucky you for having beach plans in the near future. After all, looking forward to a trip is half the fun.;-)

Anonymous said...

Debra,

I just nominated you for a Kreativ Blogger award. You can see it on my site.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kelli, You are beyond sweet! I'm truly humbled. Thanks, I'm heading over to your place.;-)

Kelly Polark said...

I'm so envious! I want to see Chelsea too! And I want her shoes! Hope your niece or nephew arrived safely! I love little babies!!!!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kelly, Chelsea rocks. I've seen her twice in the past year. She's just a riot. And, we're still on baby watch. I can't wait to report the good news!!!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Karen, The ocean is part of my soul. When I'm near it, I feel complete. Still waiting on the baby news. Hopefully it will be soon!!!

Stephanie said...

Hi Debra!
You might have very well sat next to my two sisters-in-law at the Chelsea Show. They LOVE her!
I feel exactly the same way when beach time comes to and end and I am back sleeping in my own real bed. I love it and am sad. Holding conflicting feelings-which is pretty much how life is most days, isn't it?
Can't wait to hear about the baby! As an aunt to 38 all by relation, I relish aunthood and celebrate it!
Stephanie

Unknown said...

ooohhhh! A new baby! what fun! Glad you're back girl!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Stephanie, There were a lot of "girlfriends" at the Chelsea show. Girls just love her! I can't believe you're an aunt to 38 - my goodness, that's a lot of nieces and nephews! We're still waiting for the newest member of the family to arrive...

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Suzanne, Did you miss me? I don't blame you (kidding!). And, yup, a new baby. WooHoo!!!

nsiyer said...

Beautiful pictures and interesting news of the beach, home and your sister. Wish her all the best.

I enjoy your post.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

nsiyer, Thanks for your kind words. I'll pass along your well wishes to my (baby) sister!

The Peach Tart said...

It sounds like a wonderful vacation. As much as I love the beach and getting away, I always can't wait to get to my sweet home.

It sounds like the book is coming along with ease and grace. Let the muse stay with you.

I've got a girl crush on Chelsea also. Her show is the best of that type on TV.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Deborah, The beach, writing, and Chelsea. It was indeed a great weekend!

Anita said...

You are so right about those shoes...can't blame you for the crush!

I knew nothing about Chelsea until I "met" you. She's crazy hilarious. We needed a woman like that, didn't we?

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Anita, I'm glad to spread the good word on Chelsea. She is crazy hilarious and has great taste in footwear.;-)

Kelly H-Y said...

So many fun things happening ... great post!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kelly, Glad you liked it. I'm getting antsy for the new baby...!

WendyCinNYC said...

That sounds like a wonderful vacation. I'm sad to be away from the beach as well.

Yay for upcoming babies!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Wendy, I knew you could relate. ;-) We're still on baby watch...

Pen Pen said...

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!
You saw Chelsea Lately?!!!!! I saw her announce that show in AC the other night on 'Chelsea lately'!!! I'm SOO jealous!! If I had known u were going, I would have taken a flight there! I have a hot air balloon I'm making out of tarps and pink duct tape just for that kind of thing!
......I'm still jealous....the jealousy is a problem...palpable jealousy.... :)
Don't you go see Katy Perry without me! :)

Pen Pen said...

Also...I have kind of a girl crush on her too. Did u know she broke up with her silver fox boyfriend?! We MAY just have a shot! :)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Penny, Are you sure they broke up? He was with her at the show Sat. night. And, don't worry - I'd NEVER see Katy without you!!!;-)

jules said...

I freeking LOOOVE Chelsea! LOVE LOVE LOVE her! Her books are hilarious and her shoes always rock. She wears some questionable clothes sometimes, but her shoes are always right on! Good luck with your characters and writing ect! Glad you enjoyed the beach. I find it to be very inspirational myself!

Like Button