Saturday, September 12, 2009

It's a Girl!!! And, Don't Call Me "Tomato Face"

I HAVE A NEW NIECE!!! My sister, Michelle, gave me the greatest present last night - a brand new beautiful baby niece! (How did she know what I wanted? And, yes, it really is all about me.) She was born at 8:26 PM MST and her name is (drum roll please...) DEVYN RAE BISCHOFF! Isn't that beautiful? Um, no it's not. It's freaking GORGEOUS!

I'm sensing a Devyn appearing in my next book. She'll be beautiful, brilliant, talented and generous. She'll create world peace and find the cure for all types of cancer. And, she'll be elected President of The Universe and win America's Top Model. Ooh, I'm feeling so inspired!

The only problem is, my new niece is in Denver and I'm in Philly. I'll have to wait over three, long, excruciating weeks to see her.

To Michelle and Travis: May you be blessed with a lifetime of joy and happiness with your beautiful new bundle of love. I can't wait to give that little butterbean a face full of kisses and a brand new wardrobe! (How old does she have to be before we can go shoe shopping together? What about fine, supersoft, leather handbags?)

IN OTHER NEWS...
I received many insightful comments on whether or not to leave my current wip in the dust and move on to the next project that's seductively calling my name. Although I love it when anyone or anything seductively calls my name, I've made a decision. My current novel is the second in a mystery series, but both MURDER ON TWILIGHT CIRCLE and MURDER ON SONGBIRD LANE are easily stand-alones. Because of that, I'm going to forge ahead. I'm having too much fun with the quirky, naughty characters in this book. Heck, they'd probably follow me over to "new project" and haunt me (or, knowing them, flash me) until I finished, so why bother?

Plus, I'm at 40k words, so I'm nearing the halfway point. If I quit now, people will make fun of me, call me a loser, shun me, and throw tomatoes in my face. I love tomatoes but not when they're splattered all over my face. For no other reason than I don't want anyone calling me, "Tomato Face" I'm finishing the book.

IN EVEN
MORE NEWS...
The lovely Kelly Hartog of Kellifornia Dreaming has deemed it fit to honor me with a Kreativ Blogger award, which I am most humbled to receive. In addition to being a writer extraordinaire, Kelly is an actress, journalist, and has lived in four different countries. You simply MUST check her out. I'm verklempt to be acknowledged by her.

And here comes the technical part:

KREATIV BLOGGER AWARD RULES:

  • 1. Thank the person who nominated you for this award.
  • 2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
  • 3. Link to the person who nominated you for this award.
  • 4. Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
  • 5. Nominate 7 Kreativ Bloggers.
  • 6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
  • 7. Leave a comment on each of the blogs letting them know they have been nominated
Number 1 - Check!
Number 2 - Check!
Number 3 - Check!
Number 4 - Uh oh...

Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
Okay, fine. Here goes:
1) I have performed my original music on stage and had my music played on the radio. We still perform live. You can check out our music here. (Note stage name: Jamie Keys)
2) I'm the oldest of four girls (or "faw gawgiss dawtas" as my mom w/her Queens drawl used to say before Colorado tamed her accent!)
3) I met my husband, Chuck, when I moved to Huntington Beach, California to start a band with his best friend.
4) Chuckie and I got together the day John Lennon was killed: 12.08.1980.
5) I worked as a marketing manager for architects and engineers and had my own marketing business. I've also worked as an interior decorator.
6) Both my kids are amazing musicians. (Drums and guitar.)
7) It took me over 14 years to write my first my first novel, about a year for the second, and six months to write my last two.

Number 4 - Check!
Number 5 - Uh oh...

Here are the seven bloggers I nominate for their extreme creativity in approach to their blogging:

1 - The BRILLIANT and TALENTED Koralee at Bluebird Notes. This is my go-to sight whenever I need an instant lift. The soft, soothing blues and mind-bending photos on this blog are not to be believed. I've got her on retainer to design my novel covers.

2 - My soul sista PenPen from Penny Lane Sugar Spun Dreams fame. She is the coolest. She reminds me of an earlier and much cooler version of myself. We share so many important values like the love of cupcakes and our mutual girl-crush for Katy Perry!!! Stop by her place and give her a kiss for me.

3 - Jody Hedlund at On The Path. Hey, some of my best friends are Christian! I LOVE her sight. She's recently been agented by the lovely and talented Rachelle Gardner and her posts on the writer's journey have proven invaluable to me.

4 - My friend, Suzy, a teacher, is brilliant and beautiful. I can't wait to meet her one of these days and share our stories in person. Her blog Tales of Extraordinary Ordinariness is filled with well-written prose on her journey through life.

5 - If you love shoes, you can't miss out on Susan Mill's blog A Walk in My Shoes. She's a YA writer who has pics of some really great shoes on her blog. Her writing is fresh and genuine. Did I mention she loves shoes?

6 - To show how open-minded I can be, I - a vegetarian - am nominating a very fun sight with a great name: The Vegetable Assassin. She doesn't really like awards, but oh well, too bad. She's a crack-up and you should check her out.

7 - And one of my favorite peeps on the world wide web is Mandy at Mandy's Life After 30. She helped design her beach-splashed website, and it's a great place to hang out. She also writes novels and clever poems about her life. She just all around rocks.

Number 5 - Check!
Number 6 - Check!
Number 7 - Uh oh... (Don't worry, it'll get done.)

Thanks again, Kelly. Virtual hugs right back atcha!

Have a great weekend, y'all. I don't know about you, but I'm an aunt again!!!

29 comments:

♥ Braja said...

Happy great aunty-ing :) Same thing happened to me a few months ago and I got to meet little Jai for the first time in Oz when I visited.

I'm also extreeeeeeeemely happy to know you're a vegetarian...I knew there was something about you I loved :)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Braja, Isn't it great being an aunt? You get to hug, kiss, and spoil and you don't have to wake up 50 times throughout the night.

Haven't eaten red meat in more than 20 years. And Indian food's my absolute fave!;-)

Ken Riches said...

Congrats Auntie :o)

I did start following one of you award choices, thanks.

Jemi Fraser said...

Congrats all the way around!! Being an aunt is great - all those spoiling privileges :) Good news on the blog too. Great stuff.

Susan R. Mills said...

Congrats about the baby, the decision to forge on, and the award! All great things. Thank you so much for passing the award to me. I am honored.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Ken, Thanks for the auntie congrats. And thanks for following one of the award winners!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Jemi, Being an aunt is so much fun. I'm going to be a little grouchy until I get to hold that little bundle in my arms.;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Susan, I know - it's all good! You deserve this award and many more. Glad to be sharing the "journey" with you.;-)

koralee said...

Debra...you are such a sweetie.. the award along with such lovely kind words means so much to me...especially comimg from such a talented and creative girl like you! You amaze me with your ability to write novels and still focus on your music. Thank you so much for this award..I will display it proudly on my blog. I will try to come up with something creative for the "things about me" seeing I have had a few posts already on that subject...don't want to bore my blogging friends to death. So it may take me a few days but I promise I will post the award and mention your lovely blog!
Also...Congratulations on that sweet little wee one..Aunty!
I am off to check out some of the other blogs....you are too sweet.

Jody Hedlund said...

Oh, what a doll!!! Congrats! How fun to have a new baby in the family, especially when you can love on it the way aunts do!

And thanks for the award! I'm glad that we could connect here in the blogosphere! I've really enjoyed your blog too!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Koralee, You probably get an award every day, that's how insanely gorgeous your blog is. I don't know how you do it, but I'm glad you do.

Btw, did I mention my sister had a baby? ;-)))

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Jody, Thanks. I LOVE being an aunt. It is fun! I'm glad we've connected as well. I cherish your posts. Well done, inspiring, and informative.;-)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being a brand new auntie!!! I sense a spoiling in that child's future.

And THANK YOU for the award thingy - I like them really, I will add it to my sidebar that proves my awesome.

You know, I was a vegetarian since I was 15 until last year when I ate bacon. Now I have bacon maybe once a month. No other meat, chicken or fish though. I'm a baconatarian I guess. Which I do feel bad about as pigs are cute and I like them a lot. They just shouldn't be so damn tasty.

I will make this my next Friday meme! :)

Also I'm enjoying hearing about your book progress as it might inspire me to get on with mine. I'm a procrasinator lately.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

VA, Glad you don't hate me because I gave you an award.;-) And, wow, I've never heard of a baconatarian before! I'm really expanding my horizons these days. Your spoiled niece sensor is working quite well. There is a niece who will be spoiled by her aunt in the VERY near future!

Mandy said...

Auntie Debbie - what a nice ring to those words! Congrats! I so enjoyed being an aunt before I became a mom. You can spoil'em and then give'em back! :-)

Wow, I can't believe you gave me ANOTHER award. That's the second one from you! Do you have a crush on me or do you just want a guaranteed guest room near the Florida beaches? ;-) Once again, I'm very honored. Thank you! Thank you! I really appreciate it.

I can't wait to check out the other blogs you mentioned. They sound great.

Wow, 14 years for the first book and now you're cruising along. My hero! Thank you for all the great tips and inspiration you offer. I enjoy hearing about your journey, especially since mine is just beginning.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Mandy, "Do you have a crush on me or do you just want a guaranteed guest room near the Florida beaches?" Have I mentioned I love the beach? And I do admit to girl-crushes from time to time...;-)

Seriously, I love "hanging out" with you. You're fun, genuine, and funny, three of my favorite traits in a person. And what girl doesn't like a little blog bling?

Fragrant Liar said...

Dear Tomato Face,

Not. ;-)

Congrats on the niece. She's adorable. And on the award. It's um, adorable, too. I will check out your nominees.

Glad to see someone is making progress on her novels. I currently suck.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

FL, You do not suck. You're awesome. Always. You'll write when you're ready to write. And, thanks. We're just about to skype w/my niece, so I'll get to see her in 3D!!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

I'm so far behind in my blog reading - up visiting my parents in Green Bay. Didn't get in on your discussion of which project to pursue. Sorry.

Congrats on the niece. Just saw mine that I only get to see perhaps once a year. She likes me. I like that.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful baby! It was cool to already know some of your life facts. XOXO

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

MJ, Welcome back! I hope you're enjoying your time with you family. It's hard to follow all your favorite blogs - there are so many good ones. And, I can't wait to meet my new niece in person next month!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Karen, Yup. I sent flowers and a teddy bear, and the card said "Be prepared for some major kissage." I can't wait to hold her in my arms!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Linda, That is cool! Any Philly plans in your future? Cheesecake Factory is calling our name...;-)

Kasie West said...

Aww, that was so nice of your sister to give you a niece. She's beautiful.

For the record, it's a good thing you decided to finish your novel because I would've been first in line to throw tomatoes. There is nothing that beats a good tomato throw. :)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kasie, Whew! Thank goodness I decided to finish the book. I should have pegged you for a tomato thrower! That sweet face, innocent eyes - they're always the ones to fear!

Beth said...

Congrats on your new niece! I wish your sister and her husband many happy times with their new little peanut. (And Deb, shoe shopping can probably wait a few years. LOL)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Beth, I'll pass along your good wishes to my sister and bro-in-law. A few years? I don't think so!

Pen Pen said...

lettin u know I got my award! Post on it will be up tomorrow!! And THANK YOu, musical soul mate!! U rock me!! :)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

PenPen, I try. Did you see the VMA's? Katy Perry was perfect. So was Taylor Swift. Kanye West is a freak.

Like Button