Sunday, September 20, 2009

Hooray, Oy Vey, I'm Writing YA! (Sucky title/poem for like a MAJORLY important post!)

Those of you who know me may be shocked by the title of this post, and justifiably so. But, it's not a teaser to make you click on my blog to increase my stat hits thereby boosting my ego and making me feel like less of a loser (not that I'm above that by any means).

Nope, it's actually a true story. I'm writing YA!!! Not only is it YA, but it's YA FANTASY!!! That means I get to write about things that don't really exist, precisely like JK Rowling, except without her mind-bending genius, ethereal beauty, and millions of dollars.

I don't know how it happened given (WARNING: True Confession Alert!) I've never read a single YA book in my life. I have, however, seen movies. I know, crazy, right? But it's not my fault. I blame my overactive imagination. I couldn't sleep for the last few nights due to a certain phrase I'd written in my current wip MURDER ON SONGBIRD LANE. These two particular words kept buzzing in my brain like an annoying fly that refused to die. According to my manager (aka "husband"), I'm not yet at liberty to give those two precious words away nor any of the plot line. (And don't hate me all you query-haters out there, but I've already written the query!) I'm up to page four of this new wip, and it's like so ohmygod, totally, awesome!!!! Who knew writing teenage characters could be such a major blast? Hell, last time I checked, I didn't even like teenagers!

TO RECAP:
I've now written two women's fiction novels, one and a half mysteries, and .0000001 YA books. I am like so totally stoked about this, dudes! It's like majorly sic! BTW, no need to worry. My characters SO don't talk in this annoying fashion in my INCREDIBLE new YA novel called.... (Oops, I almost gave it away!)

And, don't worry about MURDER ON SONGBIRD LANE being lost to the world. I'm just shy of 45,000 words, exactly where I'm supposed to be. My first-draft target date is still Thanksgiving, and unless my new YA masterpiece completely overtakes me, I intend to meet that goal.

OMG! I can't believe I just told the whole world I'm writing YA! Crap! That means I really have to do it! (Bites nails and considers getting hair streaked pink and face pierced in order to fully get into the YA groove.)

35 comments:

Mandy said...

How exciting! I write like a teenager now and I often speak like one so I can't wait to read it. After all, just like at my blog's subtitle - "throw me a line, will ya?" ;-) LOL! I've always been a Ya Ya girl and I refuse to grow up, even though I'm 30-ish. Just think of all the emotions and angst you can include (and make fun of!) Hahaha! Go for it Debra!

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Debbie, you are so damn cute. I love you!

Kasie West said...

Welcome to the best genre in the world (I'm just a little biased). My sister in law summed YA up nicely when she said, "I love to read YA. It's exciting and it gets to the point." It is so fun to write too.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Great news! It sounds like it's flowing really naturally for you, too. Have fun with it!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Little Ms Blogger said...

Are you liking it?

Wow. You have a very diverse writing portfolio and I think that's amazing.

mo.stoneskin said...

Yep you have to do it. I've made that mistake, I mean "done that", before. You have to now, definitely. I'm trying to work out how many words .0000001 includes. 5? 10? 50?

The Peach Tart said...

Congratulations on tackling a new genre. You are quite the prolific lady.

CKHB said...

Congrats, you sound so happy! That's great!

Joanne said...

A growing, and successful trend. I've noticed other contemporary women's fiction authors venturing into YA lately, most recently Adriana Trigiani. Enjoy!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

This is so funny. Weren't you the gal telling us to stick with the current WIP a few weeks ago? Totally kidding. Enjoy! The rest can wait.

Susan R. Mills said...

So totally cool! It is so fun to write teenage characters. Good for you. Have fun and good luck!

April said...

LOL, what a great post! Can't wait to see your new writing genre. I, for one, love YA and I'm 35, lol!

April
http://cafeofdreams.blogspot.com

Big Mark 243 said...

But, it's not a teaser to make you click on my blog to increase my stat hits thereby boosting my ego and making me feel like less of a loser (not that I'm above that by any means).


That made SURE that I would read this particular entry!!

Good luck on your YA novel. I feel a certain disconnect with teens and twenty somethings. I think that is because I was trying to be 'grown' as soon as I could, and did not let being 'young and dumb' sink in.

Good luck!

Regina Quentin said...

Yay! Good luck with that! I have never read YA either but I love making up stuff so I can imagine getting carried away with a story.

It is cool to see someone with such diverse writing interests (translation: thanks for assuring me I'm not crazy).

Kelly Polark said...

That is exciting that you are expanding to a new genre. I was strictly a PB writer until I just happened to start a chapter book and loved it. I am contemplating writing a YA, but that scares me for some reason!
Good luck!

Sierra Godfrey said...

us an update on where all those novels are Debra....status on publishing? Agenting? Shoved-under-bedding?

NOT that it defines you or matters, but we are all curious.

And congrats on starting a new genre, how fun!

Barbara said...

Debra,
I totally feel your passion for this one! How fun when that happens! YA is a great genre to get into right now. Have a blast!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Hello, everyone! Sorry I haven't done my normal responses to everyone today. But... I've been busy writing my first YA novel!!!! I finished the first chapter. It's coming out pretty easily, but it's early on in the game. I greatly appreciate all of your comments, and will keep checking back. Thank you all for your wonderful support!

Jemi Fraser said...

Exciting stuff :) A new book and a new genre! Ride that enthusiasm wave while it's hot! (and ignore the mixed metaphor :))

Sherrie Petersen said...

Welcome to the club :)

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

howdy! i found you via peach tart - and oh look, there's mandy! one of my fav followers!

looking forward to reading about your progress!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Hi,Crib! Glad you found me via the beautiful Deborah. And Mandy's one of my bff's. Welcome to the club!

~Jamie said...

Ya know I do have pink streaks... and piercings... :)

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Write, girl, write. However it flows.

WendyCinNYC said...

Good luck with your new YA novel! That's a genre I won't tackle, although I'd love to write something MG one day.

Glynis Peters said...

I don't think I would ever be able to write YA, well done!

Sage Ravenwood said...

Why not! It's fun going back and getting to do things you may or may not (winks) have done all over again. but more updated of course. (Hugs)Indigo

Sage Ravenwood said...

By the way I hate that queries are so fricking easy for you (no I don't really hate you per say just the easy part). (Hugs)Indy

Sage Ravenwood said...

By the way I hate that queries are so fricking easy for you (no I don't really hate you per say just the easy part). (Hugs)Indy

Aidan Donnelley Rowley said...

Congrats! I think there is something profoundly brave about telling the world you are going to do something just as you are getting started. I can't wait to hear about the process and the evolution of your story. Good luck!

Beth said...

I read a YA novel not too long ago. It was the first YA novel from F. Paul Wilson, dealing with a teenage Repairman Jack. (And if you've never read any of the Repairman Jack books, I highly recommend them. One of the coolest characters in modern fiction!)

jdsanc said...

Hey, you're hip, you're cool. You have teenagers. You have a great sense of humor. You go. Besides, if you're got to write it, you've got to write it.
What am I saying, you're already through chapter one!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Judith, Don't faint, but I just finished chapter four! In only three days. It's truly bizarre, but I'm not complaining!!

Ray Veen said...

Welcome to the dark side, buddy.

Daisy Whitney said...

Deb! What are we going to do to get you to read some YA? It's the best genre there is! Let me know if you want someone to write an "intro to reading YA" post! hint, hint: I know someone who LOVES YA!!!

Like Button