Sunday, August 9, 2009

Kicking and Screaming Into Heaven

Now that you've helped me get past my insecurities, I'm back on track. Thanks for all the great advice, and for putting up with my glaringly obnoxious bout of self-pity. As Chelsea Handler would say, "WHAT... a jack-ass!"

I'm now less than 250 words away from my first big mile marker on MURDER ON SONGBIRD LANE (MSL). I'm nearing 10,000 words, which means I'm about 1/8 of the way done with the new book. And, if I do say so myself, it's getting exciting! Well, as long as your not the doctor's wife who doesn't make it past Chapter Three...

The first in the series, MURDER ON TWILIGHT CIRCLE (MTC), was set in an upscale suburb of Philly. MSL is set in a beach town in southeastern Connecticut. Each place lends itself to a different kind of story. It's fascinating to see how a place becomes another character.

I love the smart-ass back-and-forth dialogue between the two main characters, Jenny Sampson, the lay person who ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time when her doctor's wife friends bite the big one (she happens to be a doctor's wife too, so she'd better beware!), and Bree Lang, the stunning, red-headed, bisexual, beauty-pageant winning Assistant District Attorney who insists on dragging Jenny in on the investigations.

Jenny and Bree come from strikingly different backgrounds, which probably explains why they get along. Like they say, 'opposites attract.' Jenny grew up in a lower middle class, Jewish, Long Island family and is a married mom of two teenage boys. Bree was raised in a wealthy WASP Main Line Philadelphia clan and lives with her girlfriend, art gallery owner Lisa Ling. "Ling and Lang," Jenny says. "No wonder you two get along so well!"

When Jenny was young, her parents took her to public beaches like Point Lookout and Jones Beach. Bree's family, on the other more well-manicured hand, summered in the Hamptons. Jenny makes sure to point out that, although Bree comes from money, Jenny is royalty. She's a Jewish American Princess.

I'll keep you posted on my progress on MURDER ON SONGBIRD LANE. Thanks again, for your help in getting me out of my funk.

IN OTHER (RELATED) NEWS:
I've finally embraced Twitter! Once again, like the groom in the picture above, I found myself kicking and screaming my way into heaven. This has happened several times in my life, namely when I did The Landmark Forum - a transformational weekend I experienced back in 1992. (Maybe I'll do a post on it sometime...)

I'm finding Twitter to be fun, interesting, and informative. I'm following and am being followed by brilliant writers like Kristina Riggle (real life & liars), Allison Wynn Scotch (time of my life), and Barbara Delinsky (where do I begin to list the bestsellers???). How amazing is that? It's kind of like I imagine chatting with Stevie Nicks would be - totally freaking awesome.

It's interesting to see how some agents, I won't name names, think they're "above" speaking to unpublished writers. Then again, there are the super awesome ones like rock star, Janet Reid, who treat people with respect and answer your messages directly. (I've got two rock stars in this post, Stevie and Janet!)

If you haven't joined Twitter, give it a try. You just might find yourself kicking and screaming into heaven...

40 comments:

Susan R. Mills said...

Okay, I have joined Twitter, but I still haven't figured out how it works. Do you offer a tutorial? Also, your story sounds interesting. I can't wait until it's published. And I love Stevie Nicks, so if you ever become Twitter friends with her, will you introduce us? :)

Sandra Leigh said...

Oh, dear, Debra. You've joined Twitter just in time for it to have a nervous breakdown. I just had to try three times to get it to load, although everything else is working fine. It didn't take long at all for me to become addicted to Twitter. I'll see if I can find you, now that I'm in at last.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

LW, I don't know much more than you about Twitter - it is a little complicated. But, I think it's a great networking tool for writers. If I meet up w/Stevie, I'll be sure to let you know.;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Sandra, I know. It's just one more technical drug...!

Debbie said...

I can't really figure the whole twitter thing out either. Oh well. I sure do have fun on here!
And I love me some Chelsea Handler.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Debbie, Chelsea is a Goddess, and I'm glad you like it here. Have a beautiful day!;-)

Mandy said...

I'm so glad you are out of your funk. I was about to show up at your doorstep, ready to bust a move to "Play That Funky Music...." until you danced that negative attitude right out of yourself! :-)

But Debra, twitter? And I thought we were friends! I guess I'll be the last woman on the planet to join this. I just don't need another distraction in my life. Will I really be missing out if I don't read someone's tweet? I mean my husband toots his own horn enough, if you know what I'm saying...

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Mandy, Thanks for helping me out of my funk, and for cracking me up. Yup, Twitter! Believe me, I resisted with all my might. But, damn if there aren't some majorly cool peeps hanging out in Twitterville! If you decide to come over to the dark side, let me know. I promise I'll tweet back.;-)

Stephanie Faris said...

I LOVE Chelsea Handler. I'm on Twitter too. I'll go follow you.

Kelly Polark said...

I love smart ass dialogue, so I know I'd love your book, Debra!
I have not embraced Twitter. I am afraid it will be a timesuck.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Stephanie, Chelsea's the best. We saw her earlier this year, and we're going to see her in Atlantic City over Labor Day Weekend. Yay! And, I'm excited to tweet w/you!!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kelly, Why doesn't it surprise me that you love smart-ass dialogue? Hmm... And, I know how you feel. Like I said, I went kicking and screaming into heaven...!

Amy said...

I'm glad you're back on track, but I have to be honest and admit to feeling envious of all those partial and full requests!! ;o) Good for you!!!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Amy, Don't be envious of me. Just get out there and do it yourself!!!

Beth said...

Hmm, sounds like some of your new book is a tad bit autobiographical! ;)

Twitter is okay. I think it's more fun to read others' tweets than to write my own! Blogging: a forum to fully explore your thoughts and to write lengthily about issues. Facebook: a place to easily post articles, especially those of interest to your political bent, as well as to keep up with friends (who seem to be joining it in droves). Twitter: a place to find out what cool videos Russell Brand is posting, or to read the funny tweets from people like Rainn Wilson or the guys from MST3K.

I've actually "friended" a couple of authors on both FB and Twitter, and they are incredibly cool and accessible. What an amazing thing to be able to interact with people this way!

Whoops, didn't mean to make this so long! Hugs, Beth

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Beth, You can make it as long as you like! I like Twitter and love my blog. I've never done FB - I figured I'd get lost in it, and I have too much writing to do!

Kasie West said...

Ooh, your new book sounds fun. I love it when characters start to take shape and the writing starts to flow.

And twitter, yes, I've embraced it as well. Fun times.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kasie, Good to see you smile face, my friend! How's the submission process going???

Ray Veen said...

I won't Twitter. Not if its true that its just as addictive as Facebook.

I have enough distractions already.

Your story, and more specifically, your characters, are sounding very intriguing. And I might email you with a weird question about mystery writing.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Ray, my friend, you can e-mail me anytime about anything. I queried your guy, btw. No answer yet. Good news: I've got 3 full requests and 6 partial requests. What do you think about that? Is it possible I'm getting close?

♥ Braja said...

Hey Debra! I'm here, I'm reading, I'm not really with it, but I'm not being a stranger....Australia is a whizz and I'm spinning :)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Yay, Braja's here!!! And you're the lucky 99th follower, so much cooler than #100, don't you think? Love to you and everyone 'down under.'

Broke But Still Drinking said...

What's Twitter?

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

BBSD, I'm assuming you're kidding, but just in case you're not, Twitter is what they call "micro-blogging." It's sort of a cross between instant messaging and blogging. You get 140 characters to say something. Very strange, I know. I rebelled for days, weeks, even months. Alas, I gave in to the temptation. It's fun, especially if you like to chat w/other writers. At least, that's my experience. How are things in Pittsburgh, btw?

nsiyer said...

Damn good one!Debrah. Nice to know you are on Twitter. It's great that well known people are following you. Looking for your write up on Landmark Forum.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

nsiyer, I'll be sure to let you know when I do a post on Landmark! Twitter's fun - you should check it out.;-)

Kathryn Magendie said...

I was taken kickin' & screamin' into facebook and twitter -- I have both now, though, I don't have time to go to them much so miss out on a lot of "tweeting" and etc! but, yes, there are some really cool people on twitter! :)

Unknown said...

I couldn't even comment on your last post because it hit so close to home!

And now twitter!

Me too. Love it. Alice Hoffman followed me for a while until she figured out how to un follow ;)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kat, You're on Twitter, so it has to be cool! ;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Suzanne, Tell me more about why you couldn't comment last time. E-mail me if you want.;-)

Anita said...

I missed the SOS post, so I'm giving my two cents now: With every word you type, you're becoming a better writer. Keep getting those words down on paper, and I'm sure if getting published is something you really want to do, you'll get it done.

I can't seeing myself on Twitter...but then I never saw myself blogging, either.

Pen Pen said...

One day, the smart ass girls will rule the world!!! :)
I LOVE Chelsea Handler!! I think about BEING her sometimes :)
Do u like Twitter?! I feel like it's just a good way for people I hate to pry into my life...feels dangerous to me-like it could backfire. hmmm...

The Peach Tart said...

Congratulations on all your writing projects and I'm sure an agent is right around the corner for you.

I attended The Landmark Forum in 1995. It was pretty amazing.

I'm just starting the Twitter thing myself.

JennyMac said...

I joined Twitter but dont use it...I will glean wisdom from your experience I hope! LOL.

And your book sounds great!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Anita, Thanks for your "words" on writing. It's so true! But we writers are a strange breed - we're so darn sensitive sometimes!! I do want to be published. I'm doing my part by writing regularly and improving my craft. Hopefully the pieces I have no control over will fall into place. If it's meant to be, it will be...

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

PenPen, People can't pry into your life if you don't write about things you don't want them to know about. It's similar to your blog. You choose what you want to say. It's fun. Plus, Katy Perry tweets. Need I say more? ;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Deborah, I should have guessed you'd done The Forum. All that positive, powerful energy! It really is an amazing program. Join me on Twitter!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

JennyMac, Twitter is good in that you can come and go as you please. It's easy to get addicted, like any other communication tool on the web. Some people on there are amazing. I've learned a lot in only a few short weeks about the publishing biz.

prashant said...

t is a little complicated. But, I think it's a great networking tool for writers.


Work From Home

Siskoray said...

You will be missing out big time. You will feel the cold, bitter darkness of being completely left out of every social nuance that everyone else is feeding from. Come in from the cold.

Like Button