Friday, May 15, 2009

100!!!!!

WELCOME TO MY PARTY!!!
I hope you like cupcakes. Here we are. You. Me. Together again. Isn't this nice? Kind of cozy. It's hard to believe this is my 100th post. What a freakin' milestone this is! Of course, birthdays, anniversaries and 100th blog posts are nothing more than our perception of what we say is important in this bizarre experience we call "life." It's all made up, folks, every last bit of it. But, you know what? That's the beauty. We have the power to create our own lives; we really are the Michelangelos of our individual worlds. I truly believe that "Little by little, all our sweet dreams come true..."

So, what has been created here? Why is this blog important to me and, hopefully, to you? For me it's because this is a place where thoughts on the road to publishing, spirituality, music, politics, humor and pictures of gorgeous animals (and I'm not just talking about my family) have a place to roam free. It's a diary of sorts.

Remember the crazy, old guy who told me I'd voted for Satan? (11/7/08)
Remember when Dusty went missing? (1/12, 13, 15/09)
Remember my crazy neighbor who went all Mike Tyson on us? (10/14/08)
Remember the not-too-bright ex-beauty queen who was running for the second most powerful job on the planet? (10/2/08)
Remember when I got my first "nibble?" (11/25/08)
Remember when my mom went through surgery and your love and support made all the difference in the world? (10/2/08)

(I've added the dates here in case anyone feels nostalgic and wants to re-experience these episodes. You can find them in the bottom, right-hand corner of the blog.)

Here are a few of my favorite pics from various entries:










This is the stuff of my blog journal. Looking back over the past 7 & 1/2 months, a lot has changed. My first entry (9/30/08) was right after I'd attended my first writer's conference in NYC. I'd finally jumped in and gotten my feet wet and what an eye-opener that was! The gals in my group like Wendy and Sarah were so talented and supportive. I was blown away to be in their presence. And my dear blogger friend, Amy, made me feel so at home in this new blogosphere world.

I'll be attending two more conferences this month, and I can't wait. First of all, I'll be meeting my new best friend for the first time (a writer I "met" through my blog - she doesn't have a blog, otherwise I'd link her - hugs to you, J...) and secondly, I know there will be new agents and writers I'll meet and all of our lives will be impacted - it's a beautiful thing.

Since my first entry, I've set aside the book I was pitching back then, written another, and am 2/3 of the way through yet another. I've never been happier. Thanks to each and every one of you for making this journey fun, enlightening, challenging and humorous. I love all of your comments - I am honored and amazed by you.

Before I get to the SGP, a reminder that all the NEW folks (between the last post and this coming Sunday night) are in the running for a $10 gift card, and a commenter from the last post has already been selected to win a $10 gift card. (All winners will be announced Monday morning and all gift cards are from Borders Books). A commenter from this post will win a $20 gift card and if you link to this post and let me know, you'll have another shot at both the $20 gift card and the SGP.

Now, ladies and gentlemen, it's time to unveil the Secret Grand Prize....

By Sunday at 9PM EST, all who have commented on this post or the last (if you post on both, you get two shots at it) will be eligible for:

A $20 Gift Card from Borders PLUS
Your choice of one of the following two books (in perfect condition):
  • The First Five Pages by Noah Lukeman
  • Never Have Your Dog Stuffed by Alan Alda
AND.....
  • You get to name a character in my current WIP, "Murder on Twilight Circle"!!!
If you win, you'll have the option of choosing a male (homicide detective) or female (nun) character to name. (And, for the record, if you choose the nun I'd prefer you stay away from names like Lolita, Candy, Tootsie, etc.!!!)

I wish the best of luck to each and every one of you, and from my heart to yours, Namaste. (I bow to you.)

45 comments:

Amy Sue Nathan said...

Congrats on 100 posts!!!

(and everything else that's fabulous in your life!)

HUGS to you, bloggy bud!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Amy, You're such a big part of my blogging life and I love you for it. I wish you only the very best, my friend.;-)

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to meet my new best friend in NYC! Congrats on the 100th post and if I win naming the nun, I will be picking Jezebel, Champagne, or Wynona. :)

Pray I don't win.

See you in twelve days.

J...

Myra McEntire said...

I'm so glad I pulled up a chair. ;)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

J, You are a naughty, naughty girl. You may have to be spanked by a homicide detective in the back of the church. (ACs Rule!!!)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Myra, Me, too!

Shasta said...

Congratulations!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Shasta, Thank you ever-so-much!

Ray Veen said...

Not a bad little party you got going on here, Schube. I don't see the bar anywhere, but that's okay. I'll be strolling out of here with a Borders gift card, right?

Right?

jdsanc said...

Holy crap, what a great post--so positive! Except for the crazy neighbor and satan stuff (am I dissing him by not giving him the capital S?)
But it sounds like you're had a terrific adventure. So glad we're hooking up! PS I'm from Boston, so I'll be driving down.

Happy 100!!

Vikki said...

Happy 100!!!!

May there be hundreds more to come! And plenty more crazy comments. Hey, maybe you could even snag yourself a troll! (A nice troll, of course, not like the one that was stalking Kristin Nelson's blog a while back.)

Debbie said...

Happy 100th to one of my favorites! I must have missed that Palin one but I am cracking up now!

Beth said...

I love the Palin pic! I'm fairly new to the party, but I'm glad I'm here. :) I think the coolest part of the prize is getting to name a character. What fun!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Ray, You don't see the bar? Come on, Ray - open your eyes. The bar is in the ether - it's everywhere. Help yourself to a Guinness - it's on the house! Borders Gift Card for you? Hmmm. I'll have to think about that...

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Judith, I'm glad we found each other and I'm especially glad we'll get to meet in NYC in less than two weeks!!! When will you be arriving in town? Could we do dinner Tuesday night?

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Vivi, You keep changing pics on me and throwing me off! They're all great, though, so it's OK. A troll? I hope not. I'm not very PC and it wouldn't be pretty. Dramatic yes, pretty not so much.;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Debbie, You're one of my faves, too! That pic of SP in her office is my all-time favorite.;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Beth, I'm glad you're here. The party wouldn't be the same without you! I hope whoever wins feels the same about naming a character. I thought that would be fun.

Kelly Polark said...

Yay! Congrats on 100 posts!!
I might have entered your blog life in the latter part of that, but have truly enjoyed your posts!
Narcissa the naughty nun? ;)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kelly, Thanks, and I'm glad you've found your way to my humble abode. Narcissa, huh? I'm kinda hoping you don't win...!!!;-)

Angie Ledbetter said...

Schuuuuube, congrats on your milestone! We started our blogs within a couple of weeks of each other. Cool, hunh?

Hope that conference is good to ya. Write on & hugs!

Lynnette Labelle said...

100, wow! That's great! Hey, did I miss something? I'm still waiting to hear the big news that you were so excited about a few weeks ago...

Lynnette Labelle
http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Angie, Thanks, honey! Did you do a 100 post shindig, or have you not reached that milestone yet? Thanks for being with me from fairly early on and not abandoning me along the way!!! (Although, who would have blamed you, really?) I'll be blogging about the conf. before and after. Hugs, D ;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Lynette, Thanks, and no, you didn't miss anything. We're still waiting on the good news. I hope to have something to report soon. (Thanks for paying attention!!)

Unknown said...

Happy 100 posts! Ain't blogland grand???

Have a great time at the writers conference!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty new, so I don't know of any of these past life episodes or entries, but I'll catch on. Congrats on your 100th.

My Dad used to work at a Catholic church/school & there was a nun he called Sister Mary Doesn't. I'd use that :-). ~Mary

Ken Riches said...

To be fair, I will leave it to only one link per household (Beth at Nutwood Junction is my wife). Congrats on your 100th post, I am sure there will be many more :o)

Sage Ravenwood said...

Wicked Congrats are due for your hundredth post! You've come a long ways in 7 months. (Hugs)Indigo

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Congratulations, Debbie! You make the blogsphere a wonderful place!

XOXO

Jenni James said...

YAY! CONGRATS! This is sooo awesome! And guess what we're really close in blog post birthdays! I just checked and I'm only 4 posts away from 100! LOL! I love your blog and I'm so glad you found me/or I found you... can't remember! But glad it happened! Jenni

2writehands said...

Beth sent me. Congrats! :)

Traci said...

Woo hoo!!! Congrats...and thanks for making me laugh! ;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

CCD, Thank! And, yes it is grand!

F&M, Sister Mary Doesn't? That's freaking hilarious. However...!!!

Ken, Welcome! I've heard so much about you - it's nice to finally "meet!" There's no household link quota, so you're both in. Thanks so much for coming by and joining the party. (Btw, your wife totally rocks.);-)

Indigo, Your presence means the so much. Thanks for being a part of my world. You're one special lady.

Linda, Thanks! And, ditto!!

Jenni, I'm glad we found each other, too! You are amazing...!!

2, Thanks for stopping by! I hope you'll come back more often.

Traci, Making you laugh is my reason for living.;-)

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Pretty AWESOME STUFF!!!!

I just love your blog. You rock, ya know!

AND CONGRATS! I hope I get to meet yo one day. :D

Lilly said...

My goodness Debra 100 posts. Congrats and I enjoyed your review of your bloging journey. You have done so much already and I will ahve to go check out some of your older posts now.

You are achieving your dreams bit by bit so well done to you!!

Midlife Roadtripper said...

The First Five Pages is one of my favorite books. Taught me so much.

You're attending two conferences this month. I hate you. Can I dot that? Hate you when i haven't even met you?

Tell more about the conference and report, please?

Hollie said...

Congrats on your 100th post! I came by from Beth's over at Nutwood Junction to congratulate you!

Lisa said...

Rock on Debbie! Good luck and have fun in NYC and hopefully you guys can make it to NC this summer!

Jenni James said...

Grr.. I've already commented on this before, darn blogger. LOL! I've acknowledged my wonderful award from you and advertised you awesome celebration on my blog! Wahoo! It's so exciting we have blog 100 post birthdays so close to each other! Wahoo!

Sandra Leigh said...

Great party, Debra!

Thank you for the walk down memory lane. Much of that was before I knew you, so I have some new fun to discover.

Congratulations on your 100th, and best wishes for hundreds more.

Fragrant Liar said...

Happy birthday! Oh wait, Congratulations! 100 posts is quite an accomplishment. I'm nearing 70 and looking forward to celebrating too.

This blogging thing has been an amazing, if not and addictive, new adventure. I'm consistently surprised at the blog community's interest in what I have to say, as well as their willingness to encourage and support, which engenders the desire in me to reciprocate, among other things.

I look forward to your next 100 posts (and the next and the next, etc.). I love hearing what you have to say.

Rebecca Anne said...

Well thank goodness my hazy drugged out mind did make me miss the big post! I've quite enjoyed my time coming your pages. Always full of energy, always good for a smile and laughs and your words are important ones out here in the big old world of blogosphere. Well done on 100 posts.
You make us proud!
Rebecca

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Michelle, Your support means so much to me, and I'm glad you enjoy your time over at "my place." I certainly enjoy my time at yours!

Lilly, You are always a brilliant ray of sunshine and light. I'm so happy to have a friend "down under."

MJ, Please don't hate me, not yet anyway!! Yes, The First Five Pages rocks. I took an online course by Noah Lukeman that was quite interesting. I promise to update on the conferences.;-)

Hollie, Welcome! Beth is wonderful. I'm thrilled you found me through her wonderful blog. I hope you'll come back often.

Lisa, We'll do our best to head out your way. And, have fun in Hawaii - I'm so jealous!!!

Jenni, You can comment as many times as you like. And thanks for linking me - that gets you an extra shot at the $20 gift card and the Grand Prize!

Sandra, Thanks so much. I'm happy you're part of my blogging world. I always enjoy your comments!

FL, Thanks so much. I agree, the blogging community is amazing. The support, humor and insights are priceless. I'll look forward to your party in another 30!!

Rebecca, Just say no!!! Seriously, I hope you're feeling better soon. And thanks for your wonderful compliments. I'm humbled.;-)

Bookworm said...

Wow congrats on your 100th!! :) Yay you! And please enter me in the drawing; I'd love to win any of those things. How fun. I do enjoy reading your blog very much and no i am not sucking up, trying to win.LOL

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

MM, You're in! And I'm not opposed to sucking up, but I especially appreciate if you really mean it!!

Like Button