Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ready to Rock!

OK, I know this sounds a bit crazy, but Chuck and I - collectivelly known as Karma Chain - are reincarnating our musical partnership. Hopefully, we were well-behaved enough in our past lives (NOT!) that we don't bomb miserably in this one. (uh-oh...) We'll be performing this coming Friday night at the Diving Cat Studio in Phoenixville, PA. The place is tres cool and the owner, Markels, is a brilliant artist. She makes jewelry, her own breathtaking glass beads, sculpts, and gives art classes. She's also a cat freak, which makes her especially cool.

Chuck and I have a small PA system and we're working on the set list. Back in "the day" that would have been 99.9% originals - we'd throw in a obscure song by X or Fleetwood Mac (yes, they have obscure songs - how many of you have heard Fireflies? And if you have, that means you're a hard-core Mac fan and I'm tres impressed!) However, for this special gig - and it is special - it's the studio's one-year anniversary at their killer location on Main Street, a place that has undergone a total facelift over the last few years - we will be playing about 1/3 originals and 2/3 covers. We're going to do a lot of Beatles, Fleetwood Mac (of course!), Wallflowers, Neil Young, and Cat Stevens, and a bunch of random songs we love: Shelter by Lone Justice; Why? by Christine McVie (pre-Stevie and Lindsey FM); I Need You by America; Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House; Lodi by CCR; Dead Flowers by The Rolling Stones; and Sullivan Street by the Counting Crows. Maybe later in the week I'll post the final set list, in case those of you living in say India, Canada, or Australia (you know who you are) might want to hop on cheaptickets.com and see what RT airfares are to Philly these days.

In the meantime, I hope your weekend is fun, cozy, and filled with great music!

Your ever-humble novelist/poetess/rock princess.... Debbie Schubert aka Jamie Keys!

18 comments:

Lilly said...

How exciting is that. Wish I could be there to see you. Its so good you can do these things together! Please give us a video one day so we can see you both doing your thing. Love the songs you have chosen and GOOD LUCK!

Lilly said...

Oh one more thing CROWDED HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Lilly, I LOVE Crowded House as well as AC/DC, Tommy Emmanuel, and INXS! Some pretty damn good music has risen from 'down under!'

Angie Ledbetter said...

How cool is that? Great luck and give us a performance report, k?

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Angie, I'll be sure to give a "post concert rundown" w/pics. It should be fun, especially if I have ONE glass of wine before we start. Two or more and I might start undressing and/or rambling on about why Sarah Palin should be president. (OK, that would take at least a whole bottle.)

Joanne said...

We've seen Fogerty several times in the past few years, he gives an amazing concert. Good luck with your show, I'm sure you'll have fun keeping it rocking!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Joanne, We'll do our best. I'll report back later.;-)

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Wow--good luck Friday night! I wish I could be there. You never know--one of these days. I have an aunt who lives in Jim Thorpe and I try to visit her when I get back east. Over Christmas my sister and I saw Little Feat at Penn's Peak--very cool venue.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Linda, Here's a crazy Little Feat story - when my husband was little, his oldest brother was in a band with Bill Payne, the keyboard player for Little Feat. He used to sit behind his B3 Hammond synthesizer and listen to them play. Crazy, huh? I wish you could be here, too. Definitely let me know if you're ever out this way. And, if we make it back out to Vegas (baby!) you'll be the first to know!

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie
Thanks for visiting my humble blog hovel. It would be more than tres cool if you could get someone to film your gig and then slap it on youtube for those of us unable to drop by. Have a blast and I know you'll shine. Psst! Neil Young is impossibly brilliant. :)

Ray Veen said...

How bout a video? That would REALLY make us happy.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Val, I couldn't agree with you more re: Neil Young - he's like a god (we're doing "Tell Me Why" and "Out on the Weekend" and maybe "Needle and the Damage Done." I simply adore him.;-)

Ray, A video, huh? Apparently Val agrees (see comment before yours). OK - I'll see what we can do...

Vikki said...

Oh, yeah, I like Ray's idea! Post a video! It would be really cool to see you perform.

I hope your show went well! xxoo

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Vivi, The show is this coming Friday. I'll try to find someone to videotape us, but I'm not sure if I'll have any volunteers. Any volunteers out there???

Mollie said...

I'll gladly videotape you - let me see if I can find the vid. camera.
Oh - and I've bought some really tacky thongs to throw up on stage at Chuck. Can't wait.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Yay, Mollie! I knew I could count on you in both the undergarment and video camera departments.;-)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I'm wondering how it went. Love the Crowded House song. I'm 46, so I love most 70s music, except I do poke fun at it, as well.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Linda, The show is this coming Friday night - we're the same age, so we have all that great music in common. Thanks for stopping by!

Like Button