Thursday, January 7, 2010

Co-Hosting YALITCHAT... Expanding My Horizons


Last night was a first for me - I co-hosted YALITCHAT with Georgia McBride. Our guest was Daniel Ehrenhaft of Sourcebooks Fire, a YA publisher. The chat was fun, fast, and furious.

For those of you who aren't familiar with YALITCHAT, it's a chat on Twitter held on Wednesday nights at 9PM EST for writers of young adult books. If you're a YA writer and haven't stopped by, you're missing out. (If you have questions, email me and I'll explain exactly how you can "meet up.") My co-hosting duties included introducing, welcoming, and wishing farewell to folks, including agents, editors, and writers, as they came and left the discussion. I also retweeted anything I thought should be emphasized.

Agents such as Elana Roth from the Caren Johnson Literary Agency, Colleen Lindsay of FinePrint Literary Management, and Bernadette Baker-Baughman of Baker's Mark Literary Agency graced the chat and added many interesting questions and comments to the mix. 

It was a fun experience, though not without stress. For the first ten minutes or so, we had technical difficulties. People's tweets weren't appearing and the chat was moving at a snail's pace. Fortunately, the glitch was magically fixed (I imagine with the same faerie dust that makes fax machines and iPhones work!), and the rest of the hour went smoothly.

What did I learn from this new endeavor? 

1) That it's good to take on new endeavors.

2) That Sourcebooks Fire is a wonderful opportunity for YA writers.

3) That Dan Ehrenhaft is a sweetheart (and a good sport for being a first-timer, jumping  into the warped speed that is YALITCHAT), and that he's committed to putting great YA literature into the hands of readers.


4) Georgia McBride is a saint for getting the chat up and running in the first place, and for creating the partner website yalitchat.ning, which is a great place to network with agents and other writers and to improve your craft. You can get feedback on your queries and even submit directly to agents through the site. If you haven't already, you should check it out fo' sho'.

5) That I have the best agent in the world. I know, you're getting tired of my saying it, but it's true. She showed up all sparkly and beautiful to usher in my debut as a YALITCHAT co-host. (And, she tells me she'll soon be there to usher in my debut as a published author!)

6) That the writing community in general, and on Twitter in particular, is beyond amazing. I don't say that lightly. The writers, no matter where they are in their careers, are the most supportive, interesting, and passionate group of people I know. I realize that sounds somewhat crazy - I mean, how can you "know" someone via the internet? Yet, I do feel  I know a lot of them, just like I feel I know many of you.

Since I enjoy pain (kidding, Georgia!), I've agreed to co-host the chat again on January 20th.  That night we will be visited by JJ Jones of St. Martin's Press. She will be presenting winners of a recent contest and discussing the New Adult category, which features protagonists in their late teens to mid twenties.



So, get out there and try something new. That's what 2010 is all about. ;-)

30 comments:

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Debbie--I checked it out last night...to late for the chat, but it looks like a great site. I think I saw it on a comment you made on Twitter. I'm still not totally understanding Twitter, but I keep reading and looking for editors and agents to follow.

WTG on trying something new.

Anonymous said...

And you so rocked it! You encapsulated the experience of co-hosting better than I ever did. (In fact, I never did...hmm...)

;-)

-- Dawn

Stephanie Damore said...

Excellent advice. I especially like your titanic quote--priceless!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Sharon, Email me if you want and I'll talk to you about it. ;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Dawn, Thank you so much!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Steph, I know, ain't it the truth, though?

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Karen, Email me (address on my profile) and I'll walk you through it. ;-)

Kimberly Franklin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kimberly Franklin said...

Never heard of this, but I'm definitely going to check it out! Thanks for sharing!

Kelly Polark said...

Congrats on a successful YALitchat! I'm not a tweeter, but I so agree with you that the writing community is so friendly and supportive of one another!
Does anyone write up a condensed version of what was said on this chat perchance (for us non tweeters ;)
Love the quote, too!!

lisa and laura said...

Debra - I had no idea that last night was your first time co-hosting. Great job! The chat was extremely informative. We'll definitely be back next week.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kimberly, You'll be very happy you found it. It's an amazing weekly conversation by passionate people. Definitely check it out next week. ;-)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Sounds like a wonderful learning experience. I love the sweatshirt picture! It's a great quote. :)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kelly, There is a transcript, but Georgia's having trouble pulling it up today. You can go to the website - it has nothing to do with Twitter. Check it out!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Lisa & Laura, Thanks so much - I'm glad you enjoyed it. I look forward to seeing you there next week! ;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Shannon, I was thrilled when I found the sweatshirt - it fit the post perfectly! So glad you liked it. ;-)

Jemi Fraser said...

You did such a great job last night, Debra. The chat can get so hairy - and with the technical difficulties, it was a bit nuttier than usual last night. I find myself lurking more than commenting during chats. There's sure a lot to learn!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Jemi, Yeah, it did get a bit wild last night! I was so glad when the chat "smoothed out." It is so interesting, and the hour goes so fast! It was fun. I'm looking forward to doing it again in a couple of weeks. ;-)

suzanneelizabeths.com said...

so awesome, congrats! I bet you can't wait to do it again!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Suzanne, Yes, I am. I'm what my mom would call "a glutton for punishment"!!

WendyCinNYC said...

Hey! Good for you. I wish they had something similar for women's fiction. If you run across something like that would you please let me know, oh Goddess of the Twitter?

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Wendy, I like that new moniker! And, yes, I'll keep an eye out. ;-)

Kathryn Magendie said...

You sound so positive and excited and raring to go! *smiling wide* -- been wondering how you were and how the book was going - just so danged excited for you!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kat, I am so excited about everything. I'm working on edits now with my agent, and looking forward to the book going to submission in the next couple of months. Yikes & WooHoo all at once!

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Anon, Got it. I'll do my best.

Anonymous said...

Too true. Writers are an amazing species. :)

Good luck with the next hosting venture!!

~ Corra


from the desk of a writer

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Corra, Thanks for stopping by, and yes, writers are quite an interesting bunch! Amazing on so many levels. ;-)

kanishk said...

I keep reading and looking for editors and agents to follow.


Work from home India

prashant said...

I keep reading and looking for editors and agents to follow.

Work from home

Like Button