Wednesday, June 10, 2009

HIDE THE DANCING GIRLS! Parental Units Arriving Shortly!

Yes, it's true. I have a mom and a dad. And they're flying out from Denver to see their favorite eldest daughter and her lovely sons, handsome husband, and six cats this very afternoon. In honor of their impending arrival, I thought I'd post the Top 10 Things You May Not Know About Judy & Fred:

1) They met on a blind date in the late 50's that took place in a bowling alley. She was wearing a pair of black and white saddle shoes, a poodle skirt, and a button-down sweater, and he had his hair slicked back and was wearing jeans with a pack of cigs rolled up in his white t-shirt. Very James Dean. My mom thought he was really sexy because he blew perfect smoke rings. (Thankfully, he quit that nasty habit when I, his Little Princess, was wee royalty.)

2) My mom got her college degree at the age of 41 in Health Care Management and Finance after pursuing it in between the births of faw, gawgiss dawtas (yeah, we lived on Long Island, baby!).

3) My dad has his Master's Electrical license and has his own electrical business. His college degree is in commercial art. (Go figure!)

4) My mom is the Past President of the Western Section of MGMA - Medical Group Management Association, an organization that has about 25,000 members nationwide.

5) My dad went through basic training in Ft. Lenordwood, MO and was in the army in Buckroe Beach, VA when I was a baby. It was when Kennedy activated the troops for the Berlin Wall Crisis. Fortunately, he wasn't called to Germany.

6) My mom is the Executive Practice Manager for the doctor's at Craig Hospital, a world renown hospital for patients with spinal cord injury and traumatic brain injury. She's been there over 30 years.

7) My dad grew up on Coney Island selling trinkets to tourists on the boardwalk. Some of his high-school friends included Carole King, Lou Gossett, Jr., and Neil Sedaka.

8) My mom was a severe asthmatic as a child, and at the age of 13 moved by herself from Queens, NY to Denver, CO to live at CARIH - the Children's Asthma Research Institute and Hospital . CARIH became National Jewish, the number one hospital in America for allergy and immunology. As an adult, she has been, for the most part, asthma-free. She was also diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago, underwent treatment, and is now cancer-free!

9) My dad is a hardcore Colorado sports fan - Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche, Broncos - he LOVES them all! (As do the rest of us!)

10) My mom and dad will be celebrating their 50th Wedding Anniversary in September!

11) (Sorry, I had to add another - just like in the movie Spinal Tap when the amp goes up to 11. Why? Well, that's easy! Cause it's one higher than 10!) MY MOM AND DAD ARE THE GREATEST PARENTS A LITTLE PRINCESS COULD EVER HAVE!!!

32 comments:

Unknown said...

As I read this, I kept thinking: I hope my kids feel the same way about me and Bill! Both of us are from broken homes (a yucky but fitting term) and we work so hard to give our girls the kind of security, sustenance and support your parents gave -and still give- to you! Thank you for sharing this!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Suzanne, If that is your goal, I have no doubt you'll achieve it. Your kids are lucky to have parents who love them and are committed to their safety and well-being. This is what every child deserves. I will be forever grateful for my childhood and my parents.;-)

Big Mark 243 said...

I think this is sooo awesome! You got sent to some great, great parents!

Big Mark 243 said...

I think this is sooo awesome! You got sent to some great, great parents!

Angie Ledbetter said...

You really are blessed! Congrats to Mom & Dad on their anniversary, and may your visit be wonderful. (My parents just celebrated #51 last week.) :)

Tam said...

Say hi and give them our best! Ira & Verna are visiting us this weekend too! They are going to their granddaughter's dance recital. Have a fun visit!

Kathryn Magendie said...

Your parents sound amazing!!!!! :)

Beth said...

How odd, because I feel the same way about my folks! :) Your parents sound great, and give 'em a hug from this blogging buddy. By the way, I'm familiar with National Jewish, because we used to send certain tests that we didn't do on to them...they are TOPNOTCH. Enjoy your visit! Hugs, Beth

Jill said...

That is so sweet! Congrats to your parents on 50 years.

Unknown said...

Your parents sound adorable. I'm sure there are so many memories in their almost 50 years together. Enjoy your time with them.

Joanne said...

You've got a great family going on there!

Kelly Polark said...

What wonderful, well rounded and interesting role models for you to grow up with! Have a wonderful visit with your p's! Happy 50th to them!!

Jenni James said...

WOW! your mom is so gorgeous! Now I know where you get it from! Seriously. I bet she's broken a few hearts! LOL! And how awesome! I come from a great family too! Jenni

Anonymous said...

I think I like 11 best. Sounds like your Mother has a very demanding job, but I'll bet it is very rewarding as well. Their 50th? I hope you are planning something BIG(if they want that). Lately it seems people congratulate themselves for staying together 10 years, but 50 seems to be a dying art. Glad they are visiting their grateful daughter. ~Mary

Ken Riches said...

Hey Mom, Hey Dad [waving at the screen]. Have a great visit :o)

jdsanc said...

That is so beautiful. I love how you mix your friends, family, writing, life stuff. I never know what to expect. Except, that it's always going to be good.
And your parents, how lovely is that? Have a wonderful visit.
Give them my best!

Julie D said...

Aw, they sound so cute! Have fun!!!

Getting caught up on my blog reading finally...

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

My and my folks are reading all the comments. You should see the smiles on their faces...;-)!!!!

Amy Sue Nathan said...

How sweet...I'm glad my folks don't read blogs because they were here last week and I didn't mention it! OOPS.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Oh, that is so sweet. Have a great time with the folks. And, tell your Dad I'll be at the Rockies game next Tuesday night as we'll be in Colorado. I'll cheer for him.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Adorable! Glad they're so healthy and happy. And they did such a fine job with you!

I have to ask--which one gave you the gorgeous feet and legs?

Glynis Peters said...

What a wonderful tribute to your parents, it was lovely to meet them!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Amy, I'm sure their love for you wouldn't be fazed by your lack of blogging on their account. I mean, look at you - you're adorable!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

MJ, My dad is SO jealous! Go Rockies!!!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Linda, My dad says he takes all the credit! KIDDING - my mom has gorgeous legs, and her mom was actually asked to join the NYC Rockettes back in her day!!!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Glynis, Welcome, my friend. I'm glad you enjoyed two of the most wonderful people in the world.;-)

Ray Veen said...

You're a good daughter, Debra. Unlike my twins who are now kissing and hugging me and demanding new clothes and toys all the time.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Ray, Why are they doing that all of a sudden? Did someone gorgeous, brilliant, and talented perhaps suggest it? Hmmmm.....;-)

MichBish said...

What AMAZING parents! You are so darn lucky - and I am so jealous. Oh wait, they're MY parents TOO!! How did we both get so lucky? :) Seriously, I love this post, it put a smile on my face and of course reminded me how blessed the four of us girls are and always have been. Much love, your littlest sis

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

MichBish, Yay! You're "official"!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!

nsiyer said...

How sweet! Debrah! My congratulations to them in advance for their 50th wedding anniversary and many more to come. As a couple, they seem to be rocking, and as parents you have said it.
Congratulations to you too for making them great parents.

Lilly said...

Aww, I loved reading about Judy and Fred. Best wishes to them from Australia and spoil them rotten. congrats on their 50th wedding anniversary too - that is a great achievement!

Like Button