Saturday, March 28, 2009

Little By Little All Your Sweet Dreams Come True

I was inspired last night. I saw an Australian guitar player (who now also has US citizenship). His name is Tommy Emmanuel. You all know that Chuck and I are musicians. Until last night, I would have told you that I play guitar. Now, I'm not even sure what one looks like. To say he is 'great' would be like saying Michelle Pfeiffer is 'sorta pretty." Let me put it this way, Eric Clapton - yes THE Eric Clapton has been quoted as saying, "Tommy Emmanuel is the greatest guitar player on earth."

Tommy doesn't just play the guitar, but like a cat, he becomes one with it. He puts Buddy Rich (great clip of him and The Muppets drumming together) and Sheila E (Glamorous Life - remember that killer song?) combined to shame when he uses the guitar as a percussion instrument. And hearing him play slow songs is akin to what I imagine watching DaVinci paint the Mona Lisa must have been like. He really is that good. (Oops, I just typed "god" instead of good - mistake? Doubtful.)

During the concert, Tommy told the story of a woman who cleaned his hotel room and made his bed for him while he was in Kenya, Africa playing a benefit concert. He said she left a note on his pillow each night that, translated from Swahili meant, "May all your sweet dreams come true." Soon after, he was in Italy and began writing a song that would become a part of his regular repertoire. The working title was from another Swahili phrase he knew that translated into "Little by Little." (which, by the way, is the title for his soon to be released new album.) He combined the two and the song became "Little by little may all your sweet dreams come true." This particular story jumped off the stage and spoke deeply to my soul. I knew it was to become a part of me. I doubt any of you noticed, but I've added it to the top of my blog. It used to say, "Humor and Introspection from the Suburbs of Philly." Now it says, "Little By Little All Your Sweet Dreams Come True." This is my truest belief for us all.

Here is Tommy Emmanuel's version of "Amazing Grace." I hope this adds to the joy of your weekend.

22 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

You live such a great and rich life. Makes me happy. :)

Have a great Saturday, Schube.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Angie, Awww... You're so sweet! I'm glad that's what you think about my boring and thoroughly unfulfilled life. (kidding!!!) You have a good Saturday, too, my LA friend!

Anonymous said...

I like, I like! Sounds like Tommy walked on some of those stepping stones on his path in just the right spots. I wish I could have heard him play. You're a wonderful lady and I wish all all your sweet little dreams come true for both you and Chuck. :)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Val, Thank you so much, sweetie. I wish the very same thing for you, too. Happy weekend!

Anita said...

Two of my babies play guitar...I'll be sure to share Tommy with them. Thanks!!!

Sandra Leigh said...

Wow. I listened to Amazing Grace, then to House of the Rising Sun, and I was about to click on Imagine when I remembered where I was and how I got there - so I'm saving Imagine for tomorrow morning. Thank you so much!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Oh my goodness he is amazing! It's like it's a completely different instrument! Thank you for sharing this. And for that beautiful message he shared.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Anita, We had our 17-year old son, Ethan with us who also happens to be a gifted guitar player. It was his second time seeing Tommy and he was just as blown away as the first time. If Tommy comes to Denver or the Springs, you should definitely bring your guys. It's an evening you won't forget.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Sandra, It sounds like you were transformed for a bit - that's what great art is all about. John Lennon, btw, is one of my all-time favorite artists. In fact, my husband and I first got together the day Lennon was killed...

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Michelle, You're so very welcome. I'm thrilled you enjoyed "meeting" Tommy!

Kathryn Magendie said...

Lovely lovely lovely....this post made me smile.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kat, Making you smile is the highlight of my day.;-)

Joanne said...

Don't you just love it when someone is so inspiring, so influential in your life, right to the heart? Beautiful, and the title change on your blog is just perfect. Have a great week ...

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Joanne, You are so sweet and kind. I agree - people like Tommy Emmanuel are life-changing. Their very presence makes your heart sing and inspires your spirit to greatness. Glad you like the title change on my blog, and I wish you a wonderful week as well.;-)

Mollie said...

Buddy Rich playing with Animal reminds me of myself playing Rock Band 2!!!
I have to keep my tongue stuck out the whole time...

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Mollie, That must be a sight to see! I bet you, Elmo and Big Bird would have quite the jam session. ;-)

Vikki said...

He is amazing! I'm so floored by people with that much musical talent. (btw - my 3 year old son was sitting next to me when I watched the clip and he said, "wow, he plays the violin good, mommy." ;>)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Vivi, That's so cute! Tommy is positively amazing. Tell your son you'll buy him a new toy if he can learn how to play the "violin" like that before his fourth birthday. Then, you could retire on a beach somewhere and write all day. (Not that you'd ever want to leave "butt-ass cold Michigan!")

Lilly said...

I love that post and Tommy is certainly the best. What a compliment Eric Clapton paid him. Its a perfect by line for you and your life Debra. You are making those dreams come true litle by little. So glad it was a fellow Aussie who inspired you. Tommy also has a talented brother too!

Mollie said...

You're not knocking Big Bird, are you??? I know where you live...

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Lilly, It was such a magical night. Yes, I now know about Phil as well. What an interesting life story. I think you Aussies have a little more magic in your lives than we Americans. There's still a bit more of the "wild" down under than up here - maybe that adds to the magnificence of the artists that come from your country. Whatever it is, I'm thankful for it! And I appreciate your kind words re: my new byline.;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Back off, girlfriend! I LOVE Big Bird (of course, not as much as I love Elmo). I'm just saying that would be quite the sight to see... (tee-hee!)

Like Button