Monday, October 10, 2011

The Month of Living Deliberately

In honor of my commitment to better physical and financial health, rather than "The Year of Living Dangerously," I'll be participating in, "The Month of Living Deliberately." 

Oxford American Dictionary defines "deliberate" as: 1) Done on purpose; intentional. 2) Careful and unhurried. 

I hereby proclaim that for the following 30 days I will DELIBERATELY:

1) NOT eat ANY sweets. (Except for my boyfriend's birthday dinner. Really, people, I'm only human.)
2) NOT spend ANY money on CLOTHES!!! And, yes, that includes SHOES and JEWELRY. (Those of you who know me can pick yourselves up off the ground. Lying on the floor with your eyes bulging out of your heads while speaking in tongues is highly undignified.)
3) EXERCISE at least 30 minutes EVERY DAY! And by EVERY DAY I mean at least three times a week! (Death, or at least an uncomfortable splinter or bug bite, to all naysayers.)

My month-long goals are:
1) To lose five pounds.
2) To save $500.
3) To tone muscles I didn't know I had.

My four-month goals are: 
(Why four months? Because in four months I'll be on a cruise. In the Caribbean. In a bikini. OMFG.)
1) To lose twelve pounds.
2) To save $2000.
3) To tone muscles I didn't know I had.

I began this treacherous countdown on Saturday, and am happy to report: "So far, so good." Well, except for the exercising part. That began tonight when I signed up at a local gym that is freakishly close to where I live. (Whose crazy idea was it to build a gym within walking distance of my house? OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!) My excuses not to exercise are flying faster than incomprehensible syllables from the mouth of Sarah Palin. (Yep, that fast.) However, I WILL PREVAIL! (Chances are slightly higher than winning every Powerball in every state for the rest of my life.)

I promise to post before the end of the month to let you know how I'm doing. Unless I fail miserably, in which case, I'll either a) lie like I did when I was five and stole bubble gum from Spanky's Corner Store (sorry, Mom and Dad, but I can no longer keep this evil secret to myself), or b) slither away into slimy obscurity like Octomom, Bernie Madoff, and [hopefully, someday soon...] Snooki. 

Anyone care to come along for the ride?

12 comments:

Katy Josephine said...

I think this is awesome! Nice to have a little carrot out there with your cruise (a bikini is OMFG, indeed!). For the past seven months, I've been on a fitness, weight loss, 'deliberate sort of living' mission. Haven't quite hit my goal, but I am back in single digit sizes and I feel fantastic. It's well worth the journey!

Best of luck - can't wait to see how you do!

p.s. if it's any consolation (shoes are also a weakness of mine), I just bought two pairs of expensive shoes that are lurking in my closet, unworn. Actively dithering about whether or not to keep them...

Laurie Lazar said...

Wow. No sweets for a month? If you can pull that off, I might have no choice but to try it myself -- for at least a week.

Seriously though, you have inspired me to make some measurable commitments to myself as well. I will practice yoga twice a week and sit and meditate every day until I see you next. When are you coming to Denver?

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

Sooooo funny... I should try this myself. Really? No shoes?

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Josephine, Good for you! Keep the shoes. I mean, they're already yours, right? ;-))

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Laurie Beth, It's going on three days now, and I'm still here to tell about it. I had a bit of a mishap w/a bag of Sun Chips last night, but I suppose, that's to be expected... Live and learn, live and learn.

RE: Denver. Right now scheduled for Sat. 11/19, but I might come a little earlier. I'll keep you posted. (love you)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Pat, I swear. Not a single shoe. ;-((

Beth said...

I took the summer off from working out, but I'm ready to get back into it for the fall and winter. I know I'll feel better and less sluggish if I do. I know we can both do it!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Beth, I hope you're right!

Sharon said...

Ok count me in. My cruise is coming even before yours so I have that much less time to see some results. No sweets and no booze til turkey day. And I have already worked out twice this week, yeah for me! By the way doses of dark chocolate are daily vitamins, not sweets, right?!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Sharon, Go for it! And, yes, any physician worth their qualifications will tell you dark chocolate is a vitamin even greater than A, C, & E combined!

Joanne said...

Great goals going on here! I'm a walker, and have gotten so used to that daily exercise, I could never give it up. I definitely feel it if I miss a few days ... Enjoy, it'll be worth it :)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Joanne, Love walking - need to make it a part of my day!!!

Like Button