Monday, February 22, 2010

SUBLIMINAL MONDAY: Revelations

Is it just me, or are SUBLIMINAL MONDAYS arriving at warped speed these days? I'm fairly certain someone has messed with the fragile space/time continuum, and I'm not pleased. The reason this angers me is because, although it may not look like it, these posts do not write themselves. [In fact, small elves from Greenland write them, but I'll save that for another time.]

So, my friends, guess what? I'm back to work on a new story. [Sheesh, does this writing crap never end?] Awesome Agent is currently reading Draft #3, and I'm going crazy not editing. Therefore, TADA! new book to the rescue.

As I was writing this week, I had a mind-bending revelation: There may not be "magic" in this wip, and I mean that literally. I would've bet money that the follow-up to my first YA novel would also have a magical element, but guess what? I would've been wrong. [I'm sorry, are you snoring? RUDE!] So, what is my new book about you ask? It's about teenagers without special powers, other than their usual bitchiness, know-it-all-ness, laziness, sex-craziness, etc. that teens excel at. [I'm sorry, did I say, "teens?" I meant,"I."] Even though I'm only 4,200 words in, I'm already in love with my characters. They're fun, quirky, bossy, interesting, and conflict-ridden. And a few are just plain train-wreckish. [Like Tiger Woods or Sarah Palin. Or maybe Tiger Woods and Sarah Palin. Ohmygod, could she have been one of his gazillion mistresses? Holy Lipstick-On-a-Pig, Batman, I didn't think it was possible for my opinion of Tiger to tank any lower!]

Like many writers, I translate the drama I see in real life into fiction. I'm fortunate enough to be surrounded by a gaggle of teens. [Yes, they're called a "gaggle." Google "gaggle" if you don't believe me... Okay, fine. I made it up. I just wanted to say google gaggle.] Of course, I cut out about 99% of the bad words they use, because, really, who wants to read a book with the "eff word" in every sentence? [Larry Flint, Howard Stern, and David Duchovny, to name a few.]

And, don't faint, but I had another revelation this week. [Must be the extra chocolate I've been strategically adding to my diet.] I realized writing is akin to Olympic sports. Yup, you heard me right folks. Like Olympic athletes, we writers rise early in the morning [afternoon], exercise [Twitter, solitaire] and GET OUR GAME ON! [Write a chapter or two and take a nap.] Sometimes we even fall down [roll out of bed for a snack] leaving random body parts [words, sentences, entire chapters] strewn about, and get up and do it all over again the next day. In fact - and you can quote me on this - the stress we writers face far surpasses that of Olympic athletes. Why? Because they only do it once every four years, while we writers sometimes write four books in ONE year. You do the math. [You hate math? Fine, I'll do it for you. 4x4=16. You're welcome.] Like gold medalist Shaun White would say, "I'm so stoked, dude, cuz like, WRITERS ARE TOTALLY RAD!"

So, as you continue to watch world-class, Olympic athletes skiing, skating, bobsledding, or whatever-the-heck it is they do on the international stage this week, remember to give credit where credit is due: to the writers. After all, it is we who work our arses off [sit on our arses while we work] and it is we who never sleep [not counting night time and mandatory afternoon naps].

SUBLIMINAL MONDAY question: What is your favorite Winter Olympic sport? My fave is Figure Skating. [Will forever be in love with Torvill and Dean.]

30 comments:

Stacia Kelly said...

I think this is the best thing about Mondays :) I get to read your posts! How you got the road sign pic, just wow.

Great post on explaining how hard it is to get the words out, somedays. (I do like the nap part.) And as for the Olympics, hockey it is in our household!

Laurie Lazar said...

Another book? You continue to amaze me...and hook me with your silly, yet quite logical, world view. Your subliminal messages are working their magic on me. Magic? Or no magic? That is the question.

Summer Frey said...

Curling! There's something hypnotic about it, plus the appeal it has to us regular folk...

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Stacia, So glad you like SM's. And, hockey rocks!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

LLLLL, Yup, another one. I need to find something to keep me out of trouble, right? And, even w/o magic, there's always magic. ;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Summer, First of all, thanks so much for stopping by. And secondly, curling? Wow! That's an interesting sport. I would have loved to have seen how it first began. ;-)

Kimberly Franklin said...

Thanks for another great (any sport with hott guys will work for me) subliminal Monday!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Wow. The new book sounds exciting. My favorite winter Olympic sport is figure skating - no contest. :-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Karen, I'm with you - figure skating does it for me. Whenever I think about myself wobbling around the ice rink and then watch the skaters skate like that, I'm in total awe.

Hope you're doing well, by the way. ;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kimberly, If hot guys are your goal, you're in great shape this Olympics. [Not that I've noticed.]

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Shannon, The new book will be fun. I'm glad you made the right choice on your favorite winter sport. ;-)

Kelly Polark said...

Ha ha! Great Shaun White impression!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kelly, He's so easy, it's almost like cheating. Plus, I get to pretend I'm a stoned millionaire. [HAH!]

Ruthanne Reid said...

Oh, that sounds fantastic! Heh, don't worry - magic goes in and out of style. I bet this book will be read just in time be the next non-supernatural Twilight. ;)

And skating for me, all the way. It can be SO beautiful. Did you catch Florent Amodio's performance? He wasn't scored as high as he should have been. It was pure dance.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Ruthanne, I haven't missed one minute of skating yet! I'm looking forward to the long program for ice dancing tonight - my favorite!

And, I'm so proud of you for your amazing writing lately. You are experiencing a breakthrough in your art. What a thrill!

Jemi Fraser said...

The new book sounds great!

Fave Olympic sport? Only one??? Talk about stress...

Hockey (I am Canadian!). Or snowbaord cross, or skating (love Torvill & Dean too), or curling, or short/long track, or...

*sigh*

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Jemi, OMG, you are SUCH a Canadian! [And, in my book, that's an awesome thing to be!]

Angela Corbett said...

Your posts make Mondays so much better!

Sarah Palin and Tiger Woods...that's a scary thought. :)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Angela, I'm happy to do my part to help Mondays be less depressing.

How is the querying process going? [I hope great!]

mo.stoneskin said...

I'm oblivious to subliminal messaging.

*googles photos of Torvill and Dean*

Literary challenge over at my place.

[show me what you can do ;)]

[this is not a subliminal message]

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

mo, I totally enjoyed the 10 word crime fiction. Got the literary juices flowing for wip. Thanks. ;-)

Dana Elmendorf said...

My new favorite saying will now be: "Holy Lipstick-On-a-Pig, Batman"

As always, your MOnday posts make me laugh.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

GWOE, First of all, I'd love to know your first name. Secondly, I'm so glad you love SM's, and lastly, Holy Lipstick on a Pig, thank you so much for the blog bling. I'm still blushing. ;-))

WendyCinNYC said...

Wow, you are a busy woman!

My fave Olympic sport is snowboarding.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Wendy, Wow, I never would've guessed you for a snowboarding gal! See, just when you think you know a person... ;-)

Angela Corbett said...

Hi Debbie!

I sent my last queries a few weeks ago. I got another partial request and I'm just waiting to hear back from agents. :)

I also finished my second book, a chick-lit mystery. I'm editing the first draft now and I'm pretty excited about it!

I hope you're doing fantastic!!!

Aidan Donnelley Rowley @ Ivy League Insecurities said...

Love your subliminal mondays! And your abundance of revelations. I agree that we writers are Olympians of a certain type... I like skiing. Used to love the figure skating, but I like the speed and uncertainty these days :)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Angela, Good for you! Keep me posted. I can't wait to hear the good news. ;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Aidan, I'm glad you like SM's. They''re fun to write. And, I love your take on speed and uncertainty - two of the great things about watching the Olympics.

Angela Corbett said...

I will definitely let you know! Thanks for all the support!!! :)

Like Button