Monday, September 24, 2012

Reinvention


Life is an ongoing process of reinvention. Certain artists, like Madonna, manifest this more transparently than others. Throughout my life, I've tried to keep things fresh and interesting. Part of the process of reinvention involves my physical look (changing hair styles, clothing, make-up, etc) and part of it involves my art.

Writing new books and songs are ways in which I artistically reinvent myself, and another fun and creative way is through my blog. 

I started this blog four years ago after attending my first writer's conference in NYC. At the conference, I received savvy advice from a few writers I met there (shout out to Sarah and Wendy!), and when I returned home, I dove headfirst into the blogosphere. Even though I posted far more often then (2-3 x/wk) than I do now (2-3 x/mo), I still love my blog. 

I decided early on that my blog would be an expression, not only of my writing life, but of my entire life. Along with funny and political posts, I've written some pretty personal stuff. My hope is that, by sharing deeply personal things, others have been inspired along their paths. 

Over the years, I've changed the overall look of my blog several times. Once again, I felt it was time. These days, there are many choices on how your blog looks. In blogger, backgrounds, fonts, layouts, colors, and gadgets are ways to transform the look of your blog. I took a lot of time and tried out many different things before deciding on this particular look. I also, got rid of a lot of "stuff" (gadgets) on my sidebar.

I'm curious to know what you do to reinvent yourself? Do you take up a new sport? Try something you've never tried before? Travel? Read? Do something creative? Listen to new music? I'd love to know. (I'd also love to know what you think about my new blog "do"!)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

At least on mobile, your site looks great!

I redo my site, too, when I need a change. :D (My awesome mother in law rearranges her whole house!)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Ruthanne, Ah, rearranging furniture and doing interior design are some of my favorite ways to creatively reinvent. Glad this looks good on mobile!

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Love the new look--maybe I should get a makeover, too!

Aaaah... I've been around the reinvention block myself, transitioning from a regular gal from upstate New York to an author and stand-up comic in Las Vegas. It all starts with having the courage to try something you always wanted to do.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Linda, You are so brave and so inspirational. Part of me wants to pack up and move someplace "artsy" and reinvent myself as an artist. Hmm...

Travis Erwin said...

Looks great. I wish I had time to visit as many blogs as I once did, but sadly I do not. And I barley post on mine.

Beth said...

I like it a lot! I love the sort of urban decay vibe to it.

I'm not sure how I reinvent myself, or if I even do. If anything, it would be a superficial thing, like getting different types of clothes than I usually get.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Travis, Thanks, my friend. I feel like people are reading blogs less and less these days, but I'm not sure if that's because that's what I'm doing or if it's because that's the way it "is" out there. Only time will tell...

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Beth, You're too busy informing the world on things that matter to worry about reinventing yourself. Love you x infinity. D.

Perry Block said...

Like the changes very much although I have trouble fitting them on my screen (I know, I know, I ought to know how to adjust the screen size by now.)

I recently made some changes to my blog too. Sometimes it's just time for a change. And frankly, for me, it's a lot easier to change my blog than myself.

Well, a little bit easier anyway ...

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Perry, "And frankly, for me, it's a lot easier to change my blog than myself." Hah! So true. ;-))

Laurie Lazar said...

Hey Deb,
I think its pretty, but it is very hard for me to read with the white on that particular background. It almost looked like the background was moving, but I think it was my eyes playing tricks on me. So um, I'd say, I liked the old look far better because it was much easier on my eyes.

keep up the good work!
Laurie

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Laurie, Thanks for the comment. I am thinking about changing the background to a solid one to make it easier to read.

Like Button