Tuesday, February 1, 2011

And Then There Were Three...

One of the less talked about casualties of separation and divorce are pets.* Less than a year ago, I was slave to six feline captors. Now, I'm slave to only three.

Tiger Lilly and Zoro went to my soon-to-be-ex and Scampy went to a good friend. It's strange watching the dear creatures in your life leave in pet carriers into a brand new life; one you're not privy to, but one you know (hope, pray) is alive and well and filled with other voices, other routines, other pet brothers and sisters. It's odd to know my "babies" now belong to someone else.

I'm lucky my kids are old enough that there were no custody issues. Dealing with custody of our "fur babies" has been difficult enough. I wonder what they think as they leave the only home they've ever known for the last time. I wonder what Dusty, Caramel, and Emma - the cats who've stayed behind - think happened to those who've left. I know they don't think in language like we do, but they do have feelings and are aware of what's going on around them.

After Scampy left on Saturday, I noticed Emma roaming the house seeming somewhat confused. I imagine she was looking for "Uncle Scamp." Where did he go? When is he coming back? Why isn't he playing with me? It's fascinating watching and wondering how life occurs for them. I couldn't help but feel a little sadness for the bonds they had that will never be again. (Ah yes, bonds that were that will never be again...)

Then again, do we ever really know how life occurs for anyone else? This past year has taught me the answer to that question is a resounding, "No!"

So, what to do?

Love those in your life as fully as possible and be as true to your word as you can.


To Tiger Lilly, Zoro, and Scamp: I love you and always will. I think about you every day and hope your lives are happy and fulfilled.

To my dear friends and family: Ditto. ;-))

*Cats appearing in order: Caramel and Dusty (brother and sister) in the kitchen; Emma snuggling with Zoro; Tiger Lilly chilling in the pool room; and Scampy on his throne.

IN OTHER NEWS...
I'm plugging along on edits to Draft #7, hoping this will be the draft that goes on submission. I'm taking my time with it; committed to only one chapter per day. I should be done by the end of the month. Then, off to Awesome Agent for a read-through. From there, who knows? But I know what my goal is: to be published. Again and again and again. Only time will tell. In the meantime, I'm living my dream - to be a writer.

And, really, what else is there in life but to live our dreams?

25 comments:

Lola Sharp said...

I'm sorry you are going through this major change. Sorry for your kitties, too.

I hope life treats you kindly and the rest of your 2011 is joy filled.

Hugs,
Lola

Sarah S. said...

I have such faith in you, Debbie!

Lola Sharp said...

Oh, PS, I'm in south Jersey.

Stay warm...here comes the ice. (when will winter be over??)

Lisa Aldin said...

That's hard. I'm so sorry you have to go through that. But it's so great you continue to live your dream! Maybe this will be your year!

BookGeek said...

Sorry you had to go through that. If animals are anything they are incredibly loving - they love you no matter what!

Unknown said...

*hugs* They'll be okay. So will you. Keep working on that draft!

Kelly Polark said...

That is tough. Sometimes you forget that even your furry family members are affected.
Good luck with the revisions!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Lola, Welcome to my humble blog abode! I love Jersey girls. ;-)

Thanks for your kind words. I'm getting through it. It's just all so new and unexpected.

I hope 2011 treats you kindly as well.

Hugs back,
Debbie

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Sarah, You're my sweet soul sister. I'm so grateful for you.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Lisa, Thank you. I hope we all see our dreams come true in 2011!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

BG, Animals are such special creatures. We are so lucky to get to share some of our lives with them.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Ruthanne, I still look forward to the day we can share a glass of wine or a cup of tea (or both!). You're in my heart.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kelly, True. What we humans do often directly effects the lives of our pets. One more thing to consider...

Clarissa Southwick said...

What beautiful cats. So sad to see them go, but you managed to find a beautiful life lesson in it.

June G said...

Well I'm pissed. I'm in no mood to be as eloquent as the other commentators, God bless them. I just love my cats so much and that would practically kill me...darn him!

Stacia Kelly said...

Well, I'm with June on this one...no way in hell my husband would be making off with my four-leggeds, much less my two ;) I'm sorry you're missing some of your children, I'm sure they'll be in a good home though too. Sending lots of heart warming thoughts.

And good luck with draft 7, it's a lucky number!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Clarissa, Thanks, they are beautiful, aren't they? ;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

June, I hear you, my friend. Breathe in, breathe out. (Remind me of that, will you?)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Stacia, To be clear, I asked him to take a couple of our fur babies because I couldn't handle six by myself. But, yeah, I miss them. A lot. And, Lucky 7? From your lips to Buddha's ears. ;-)

PS: April, right?

Elana Johnson said...

Sorry for the split and the loss. That's never easy and always painful. I love your words in red, though.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Elana, It's been tough, but we've all got hard roads to cross at times. And, thanks - the words in red say it all.

koralee said...

Sending you my love....sometimes life is not easy. Your sweet cats are so lucky to have a caring owner.

Thank you for your sweet words you left on my blog the other day...I have thought about a book....have something in the works right now but I will have to wait and see what happens..it is nice to know I have your encouragement...I may just be calling you up one day. You really are a blessing to me. xoxoxoxo Hugs...and extra love today. xoxo

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Koralee, Your creative genius is a gift that should be shared w/as many as possible. I hope that is exactly what happens. ;-))

Angie Ledbetter said...

Pulling for ya and sending up prayers. You're a winner. Never forget it! hugs

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Angie, You've got my back and I know it. Hope you know that works both ways. ;-)

Like Button