Monday, December 6, 2010

Lucky 7? One can only hope.

First of all, please forgive me for my seriously sporadic blog posting of late. I have no reasonable excuse other than I've had other things on my mind. Here's an update of what's going on in my world:

RE: WRITING
Edits are coming back tomorrow from my brilliant editor, so now is (once again!) the calm before the revision storm. In my dreams she'll say, "Oh. My. God. This is the most perfected sixth draft I've EVER read in all my days of editing! You must go, now, and share your sixth draft brilliance with all the world!"

Instead, the communication will likely go something like this: "Great job, Debbie - you're on the right path. At some point, before your kids ship you off to a nursing home, this may even be done! Prior to your Alzheimer's fully setting in, you may actually experience what it's like to be on submission! Isn't that exciting? In the meantime, here's what you need to focus on... You're welcome." Then she'll tap her fingers on the desk and say, "I'm sorry, what are you waiting for? Get back to work!"

So, starting Tuesday, I'll be diving into Draft #7 with full abandon. Lucky 7? One can only hope.

RE: PERSONAL STUFF
Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving in Denver was beyond! The mingling of family and friends, great food, and super-celebrations was one for the history books. Here are a few pics.

1) Thanksgiving tables at my sister Sharon's house. More than 40 people attended!
2) Me and my dad. ;-)
3) Me and my mom. ;-)
4) Me and my handsome son, Adam. ;-)
5) My beautiful niece, Devyn, my dad, and me.

Click here for more Thanksgiving pics.

It's been pointed out that I forgot to mention a big part of my wonderful week in Denver included my dear niece and nephew's Bar and Bat Mitzvah. Here's a picture of the fabulous twins:

Hous
e Hunting
I'm searching tirelessly for a new place; a place I can call my own that won't hold any of the ghosts - both good and bad - of my past. The search is sometimes invigorating, and sometimes sad. I hate the reason for the search, but I love the possibility of finding a perfect new home - a special place to make new memories.

Here are some of the house-hunting questions that are keeping me awake at night:
  • Do I want a newer house without any headaches, or an older place with a bit more character?
  • Do I want to live in the same town - a town I love, but that contains places that sometimes trigger sadness and anger?
  • Would it be better to move to a new area and get a totally clean start?
  • What features are most important to me? (Double sinks in the master bathroom? Small lot vs large lot? Well water vs public?)
  • Do I want everything updated, or would it be better to make updates myself to make the place more of "my own?"
  • How much room do I need/want?
  • What can I comfortably afford?
  • What's important for resale down the line?
And most importantly...
  • What will my kitties think?
The house I'm in now was our "dream house" - the home we worked our whole lives for. I never imagined that less than seven years later I'd be leaving this beautiful place, and certainly not for a home of my own.

However, life sometimes delivers unexpected twists and turns...

A wise woman once told me, "The test of a good marriage is not how you deal with the easy stuff, but how you deal with the hard stuff. Anyone can get through the easy stuff." I think this holds true for all aspects of life. I'm doing my best to keep my spirits up even with Nirvana's song, "All Alone is All We Are" creeping through my mind...

New Car
I'm getting a new car! Well, it's not exactly new, it's a 2008. But, it's a Mercedes. Yup, you read that right. Trust me, I'd rather have my marriage intact, but a Mercedes isn't a bad booby prize.

Yoga
Next week I'm taking my first yoga class in years. It's an hour and fifteen minute private lesson, so it may be the last thing I ever do. (If I never post again, you'll know why.)

Seminar
I'm taking a seminar given by Landmark Education called, "Living Powerfully: A Life that Defies the Predictable." Out of this seminar, I'm committed to creating a powerful relationship with everyone in my life. I'm also committed to being joyful, inspirational, and compassionate or, put another way, I'm committed to bringing joy, inspiration, and compassion to all areas of my life. That's a tall order, but one worth pursuing.

These are some of the ups and downs of my life. What about you? What's new in your world? Don't be shy... spill!

78 comments:

Anonymous said...

loved the post and the pics. Looking forward to seeing you this week and in joining your seminar on Thurs. But one could take offense at at the fact that the event you came out for was for your niece and nephew's B'nai Mitzvah and your sisters turkey day celebration and yet not one of your photos shows this magnificent family, should I be reading anything into this ommission?

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Nothing to read into! Problem fixed.

Kelly Polark said...

Great family pics, Debra!
Good luck with your house hunting! Your kitties will love whatever home you pick!

Laurie Lazar said...

I concur that the whole week of Thanksgiving was such an amazing, beautiful, meaningful, and inspirational experience. Thank you for coming out and bringing that son of yours. You are so amazing, Deb.

I'm so happy that you are starting yoga this week! Yippie!

Continued good luck on your house hunting - you are asking all the right questions and the answers are all right there in your heart.

I can't wait to be with you in your new home one day soon.
:)

Laura S. said...

Your pictures are great! You look a lot like your daddy!

Have you read "Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy" by Sarah ban Breathnach? You definitely should put it on your Christmas wish list. It's fantastic for all women, especially when we're dealing with personal difficulties.

Good luck with your house hunting! And AWESOME car!!!

Anonymous said...

Now it is blog perfection!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kelly, Tx, and you're far more generous than my feline captors. ;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

LB, I love you TOOOOOO much!!!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Laura, Tx for the book tip - I'll definitely check it out. And, thanks for the compliment that I look like my dad. ;-)

Tana said...

I've missed you! I especially miss your goodnight tweets although I might not be up late enough to see them anymore. ;) Congrats on a brilliant 6th draft! I can't wait until your novel is out and about. I wish you all the happiness life can hold. BTW, your sisters home is stunning! Buy one just like that! ;)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

T. Anne, Ah, my goodnight tweets - I forgot about those!!! Maybe I'll start that up again. And, my sister's house is indeed magnificent, but mine is pretty awesome as well. Since I'm all by my lonesome now, I'm looking to seriously downsize.

Amy Sue Nathan said...

Anytime you want to come to Chicago, Deb...you have another place to go! ((HUGS))

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Amy, Thanks my friend - I'll consider that in the spring!

Ray Veen said...

Good luck with the edits (hope it's your last round), and good luck with the submissions. Because surely you're right on that cusp.

Kimberly Franklin said...

Beautful pictures. I hope you have a great holiday! And find the perfect house. :)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Ray, Thanks for the "good luck" wishes - I need it. I'm beginning to feel the ms will never be ready...

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Kim, I hope you have wonderful holidays as well. *hugs*

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Debbie, I'm so happy to hear that you're doing so well. Getting back into yoga is a great idea, too.

The universe unfolds in divine order, my friend. Have no fear; everything is perfect.

Aidan Donnelley Rowley @ Ivy League Insecurities said...

Great post and pics. I have been a sporadic reader of (all blogs) of late, so very much appreciated this update. Good luck with the edits and home search and enjoy that Mercedes. You more than deserve it, my friend!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Linda, You are a soul sister. Iappreciate you sooooo much. ;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Aidan, I've been blog-sporadic as well. It's nice to see your name "over here." I think of you often and hope all is well in your beautiful world.

TAWNA FENSKE said...

((hugs)) to you for being so strong!

And I vote for a new town, maybe something out here on the west coast?! :)

Tawna

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Tawna, Love you, babe. Ah, the red wine we could drink together!!!

jdsanc said...

Wow! What the hell? You think this is January and New Resolution time? Make over your life time? I mean, you rock! You are courageous! Keep us posted. I so want to hear what YOU decide to do with your life.
PS Congratulations to your niece and nephew. Beautiful kids. Mazel Tov!!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Judith, Thanks, my friend. You are far too kind. I'm merely doing my best to move powerfully forward with my life - the same thing everyone else is doing. ;-))

Anita said...

Hey, broken marriage agrees with you! Look at you...you're beautiful, house hunting, new car, rediscovering activities you love, and appreciating your family even more than you did before. You rock and I wish you all the best!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Anita, You are a sweetheart. It's certainly been a bumpy ride, but I'm determined to come out of it stronger, more passionate, and more committed to my life. Like most breakdowns, it's an opportunity for grown and self-actualization. In other words, it's a gift. ;-)

LM Preston said...

Oh my goodness Debra have you got a lot going on. Revisions, I feel your pain. New house and new start, I'm sorry things with you and your husband didn't work out, but we writers are survivors right? Check out this post to pick you up http://lmpreston.blogspot.com/2010/08/im-survivor-u-r-too.html

Anonymous said...

where to buy ambien online ambien drugs forum - online pharmacy no prescription needed ambien

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam diazepam dosage insomnia - diazepam regimen alcohol withdrawal

Anonymous said...

alprazolam price generic xanax for dogs - can buy xanax mexico

Anonymous said...

buy diazepam online no prescription diazepam generic brands - diazepam 10 mg

Anonymous said...

purchase xanax can you buy xanax online legally - mixing xanax and alcohol good

Anonymous said...

order ativan using ativan sleep aid - ativan online uk

Anonymous said...

generic valium buy valium online in canada - buy genuine valium online

Anonymous said...

xanax 2mg xanax effects when pregnant - free xanax no prescription

Anonymous said...

xanax no prescription 3mg xanax online - xanax street value 1mg

Anonymous said...

buy ativan order lorazepam online no prescription - ativan dosage opiate withdrawal

Anonymous said...

order ativan ativan side effects heart rate - ativan vs valium high

Anonymous said...

diazepam online diazepam 10mg efeitos - buy diazepam no rx

Anonymous said...

buy generic ativan emergency treatment ativan overdose - ativan withdrawal depression

Anonymous said...

xanax for sale without prescription xanax dosage by pill - what is xanax used for depression

Anonymous said...

zolpidem no prescription ambien cr yellow layer - ambien 12.5mg street price

Anonymous said...

soma generic soma muscle relaxant drug testing - carisoprodol dosage instructions

Anonymous said...

order soma buy somatropin in usa - dea drug schedule soma

Anonymous said...

buy ambien online buy ambien online fast shipping - ambien sleep tablets

Anonymous said...

soma no prescription buy soma online ship to florida - how many carisoprodol 350 mg to get high

Anonymous said...

valium for sale who takes valium for anxiety - buy valium by roche 10mg

Anonymous said...

soma online soma drug schedule - soma drug reviews

Anonymous said...

cheap soma online carisoprodol 250 mg - ativan soma drug interactions

Anonymous said...

buy valium online buy valium online new zealand - buy valium online no prescription needed

Anonymous said...

r5sb4f9k2 http://www.lowcostisotretinoinsales.net/#cheap accutane no prescription - cheap accutane online

Anonymous said...

valium medication valium pills 5mg - price for 10mg valium

Anonymous said...

buy valium overnight delivery generic drug for valium - prepare valium pills injection

Anonymous said...

l9g0aod7 http://www.isotretinoin4health.net/#isotretinoin-online-pharmacy - buy accutane buy accutane no prescription

Anonymous said...

ambien generic ambien/zolpidem tartrate 5mg - what is ambien cr 12.5mg

Anonymous said...

c4ks84bd http://www.cheapisotretinoinforless.net/#accutane-without-prescription - accutane without prescription buy accutane

Anonymous said...

generic valium pill identifier cheap valium no prescription - buy valium online no prescription in australia

Anonymous said...

xn7bl2d5 http://www.cheapisotretinoinforless.net/#cheap-accutane-no-prescription - isotretinoin price isotretinoin without prescription

Anonymous said...

not9js6f http://www.thepromise1073.com/#buy-finasteride-no-prescription - buy finasteride no prescription buy finasteride online

Anonymous said...

qb74kf95j http://www.ismamerica.com/#cheapest-acomplia - cheapest acomplia discount acomplia

Anonymous said...

qb74kf95j http://www.ismamerica.com/#buy-acomplia-online - buy acomplia online buy acomplia online no prescription

Anonymous said...

asrg7hr http://therebelsocietyonline.com/#order-zolpidem - ambien online pharmacy ambien price

Anonymous said...

l8b64gd7 http://www.dplinux.org/#cheap-neurontin - cheap neurontin cheap neurontin online

Anonymous said...

Again, if this happens to you then stop taking Ambien. [url=http://www.mrblowup.com/]zolpidem online no prescription[/url] Retailers when purchasing Ambien, preferably retail stores and not the Internet. 25mg for controlled release or 10mg with doctors orders).

Anonymous said...

The side effects are as followed: - Nausea - Hallucinations - Depression and suicidal thoughts - Ulcers/swelling on the gums and around the mouth - Numbness and weakness in the muscles - Trouble sleeping (Insomnia etc. [url=http://www.cheapprovigilsales.com/]order provigil online[/url] Military organizations across the globe are very interested in the benefits that Provigil and other Modafinil brands can offer to their soldiers and pilots. In quite a few countries Provigil and other Modafinil brands are illegal without prescription. Provigil is an analeptic drug, which helps treat narcolepsy.

Anonymous said...

Topamax has been on the market for quite some time, yet it continues to prove useful for the treatment of many conditions. It is also used to reduce the incidence of binge eating in those that suffer from it. [url=http://www.jordanbrewers.com/]buy topiramate[/url] Purchase Topamax pills. Topamax is an anticonvulsant drug that treats many different conditions in children and adults such as epilepsy.

Anonymous said...

t8n3m6j1h http://www.bestpriceimitrex.com/#cheap-generic-imitrex - cheap generic imitrex cheapest imitrex

Anonymous said...

t8n3m6j1h http://www.sccgators.com/#lasix-for-sale - lasix for sale lasix medication

Anonymous said...

t8n3m6j1h http://www.flyinglessonsmovie.com/#cymbalta-duloxetine - cymbalta duloxetine cymbalta cost

Anonymous said...

Topamax treats many different conditions in both adults as well as children, as indicated. http://www.topamaxbetterprice.com/ - topamax no prescription It was originally formulated as an anticonvulsant and is still used as such. What Does Topamax Treat Topamax is an anticonvulsant drug that has been on the market for many years.

Anonymous said...

Cipro is an anti bacterial antibiotic that is used to treat infections. Taking Cipro at meals may reduce any stomach upset that may occasionally occur. [url=http://www.learnhowtowriteabusinessproposal.com/]cipro without prescription[/url] Cipro has been in the news a lot in recent years because it is the front line treatment for infection by Anthrax as well as other possible biological weapons like the plague and tularemia. Cipro is especially effective in the treatment of infections involving the joints or bones but is also used to treat other diseases such as typhoid and gram negative infections which are very resistant to most other antibiotics.

Anonymous said...

http://www.cheapativansales.net/#lorazepam-no-prescription - lorazepam no prescription lorazepam online

Anonymous said...

l8d92h4b http://www.ambienforsleep.com/ambien.html - ambien without prescription buy ambien

Anonymous said...

l8d92h4b http://www.highschoolmassacre.com/#stendra-no-prescription - stendra no prescription stendra online

Anonymous said...

l9s06hdf8 http://www.townofgrafton.com/#propecia-price - propecia price propecia without prescription

Anonymous said...

l8d92h4b http://www.bestpricecelexa.com/#order-celexa citalopram 20mg http://www.ascem42.org/#order-imitrex buy imitrex

Anonymous said...

seo google ar , ar ar carro carro

Like Button