Monday, September 27, 2010

Sand Castles

Sand castles, that's what I'll be building. Sand castles with arches, moats, funky-shaped doors, dragons, a prince and princess, and those fun-to-make drippy castle spires.

And, yes, I'll be building them on the beach. What am I doing and how long will I be gone? I'm going on vacation to Mexico for a week with my family!

During that time, I'll be completely "off the grid," which I've NEVER done before. No blog*, twitter, email, or cell phone. I have to admit, I'm more than a little worried. What if I come back and no one remembers me? I'll yell, "Hello, out there!" into the dark recesses of the internet, and hear nothing more than my own annoying voice echoing back.

"See, I told you so?" the WWW will reply, "You snooze, you lose!"

I"ll exist in an infinite state of washed-up oblivion, and for what? Because I needed a change of scenery? Because I've been yearning for a People magazine in a chaise lounge with extra pillows by the pool? Because I've been dreaming of swimming up to a bar and ordering a margarita from a handsome tanned guy with big muscles? Are these things so very wrong?

Ah, seven days and seven nights of glorious memory-making - laughing and watching sunsets with my sisters and brothers-in-law, basking in the wisdom and beauty of my parents, and building sand castles on the beach with my one-year old niece. (Yes, this is actually where we're staying - our own private villa with our own private pool. UN-BE-FREAKING-LIEVABLE!!!)

As much fun as it will be, I'm looking forward to returning refreshed, repaired, raring to go, and better able to fulfill the roles and responsibilities I've chosen for myself. My goal is to continue to move forward and fully "be" here for the incredible people in my life. And I'm excited to finish revisions on Draft 6 and send them to AA.

So, what about you? Have you ever taken a "time out" from social media for more than a day or two? If so, how did it go? Did people remember you when you returned? Also - and far more importantly - who is your favorite person to build sand castles with?

*RE: My blog - I like to write about things currently on my mind, so I won't be writing posts ahead of time and posting them. That's just how I roll. ;-)

22 comments:

Linda G. said...

Oh, that sounds like so much fun! Enjoy. :)

I think we all need to disconnect periodically (I have a feeling I'm about due), just so we can feel totally human again. As much as I love the intenet (and I do!), it does tend to insulate you from your immediate surroundings.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Linda, I definitely need to disconnect. Less from the internet, than from certain things in my life. I hope this will be a good time for reflection and reevaluation.

Vikki said...

oooooh, we went to Mexico about six years ago and it was the most amazing week of my life. There was NOTHING to worry about, no schedule to keep, no phone calls to take. Our biggest decisions were where to eat and whether we wanted to lay by the pool or on the beach. If you're going to disconnect for a spell, there really is no place better to do it. Have a great trip!!

Ruthanne Reid said...

Oh. Wow.

That is GORGEOUS! You are going to have a blast!!

Just no drinking unbottled watcer, and watch the ice. ;)

As a matter of fact, I have taken breaks from social media, but it wasn't on purpose. Was I forgotten? Eh... I reminded the world who I was. ;)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Vivi, I'm so psyched! I've been to Mexico a few times before and loved every minute of it, but never to Cabo. I think my week off is going to be amazing - can't wait! ;-)

Robin said...

I think that you should take the week and not think about work, the internet, and just have fun with the family. Think about that. Play in the pool, on the beach, in the sand. Never fear. We will still be here. Hasta la vista!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Ruthanne, I notice when you're gone and I'm always glad when you come back. *hugs*

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Robin, Love your advice. I'm planning on taking it. ;-))

Ruthanne Reid said...

*HUGS* You have no idea how much those DMs meant. Thank you.

Julie said...

Have a wonderful time and I want to hear everything when you get back!

Except for this, a quote from a dear friend who spent a couple months by the beach:

"Really, I think I had too much hammock time."

Quotes like that are hazardous to your health... just saying.

Love ya!

Jemi Fraser said...

I took a few days off in the summer and went to a tennis tournament. That's my longest vacation ever. It was great. Enjoy every single moment Deb!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Julie, I'm not sure if there's a hammock there, but if there is, mum's the word. :-))

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Jemi, Thanks - enjoyment is the only thing on the schedule. ;-)

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Karen, Thank you for your kind words. They never fail to put a smile on my face.

Travis Erwin said...

Enjoy your respite.

Kimberly Franklin said...

Have fun!

kristina said...

Thinking of you so often of late...and so happy that you will be surrounded by the people who love you so much. Enjoy those castle building adventures with your niece! {hugs}

lotusgirl said...

It amazes me what people can do with a little bit (or a lot) of sand. Have fun!

nsiyer said...

Wonderful post, Debrah. Just amazing the way you write. If you write like this, how can I forget you. Have a great vacation.

Anita said...

Much deserved! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Anonymous said...

Hallo in unseren Erotikchat.



Dieser Erotikchat gibt dir eine Alternative bekanntschaften und vieles mehr,unter anderem Blind Date
Hier in unsrem Erotikchat findest du bekanntschaften Blind Date
Du suchst Flirt und Sextalk , dann bist du hier genau richtig.Ok los geht es,auf was wartest du?
erotische Rollenspiele geile nackt ,anmelden .
Suchst du jemand von Freiburg, oder St.Gallen, vieleicht in Zürich , vieleicht in Zürich, in Basel-Landschaft? Mit Sicherheit ist jemand dabei.!

Unknown said...

I guess there’s nothing wrong about going offline for a while. You should let yourself enjoy building sand castles in the beach, or doing some laps in that beautiful swimming pool. You should pamper yourself, even if it's just for a bit of time, so that you can appreciate everything around you more. And I must say, idling near the water can be a good way of getting your creative juices flowing!

Joanne Henry @ Tranquility Pools Inc.

Like Button