Saturday, December 20, 2008

Flying Along


Flying Along
I've been kicking ass and taking names on my writing lately. My deeply spiritual prose about life as a rock star turned domestic goddess with a bit of adultery and a dash of country club thrown in for good measure, is quite the ride. My characters are starting to get a little bit out of control, and I'm not sure whether to reign them in or let them make a mess out of life for themselves. I'm trying to stay out of it as much as possible, and let them do what they would naturally do. Like a friend of mine once said, "Life would be so much better if could just get my brilliant ass out of the way!" How true!

Young Love
I've been struck by the level of passion, excitement, and drama that is the definition of young love. My son, Ethan, who is a junior and will be 17 next month, and his girlfriend, Paige, who is 17 and a senior, are so adorable together it's borderline ridiculous. (Here's the proof!)

Paige couldn't wait to get her Christmas presents from Ethan, so they exchanged gifts early. She scored. Big time. She got a beautiful silver necklace with a heart, a bracelet from Brighton (one of my favorite stores) and a big, white, cuddly teddy bear with a red bow. I thought she might explode with joy. Ethan didn't do too badly, either. He got a few shirts, a couple of belts, and a hat. Since Ethan has grown up celebrating Chanukah and Paige is a nice Italian Catholic girl, it was interesting watching their reactions to gift-giving. Chanukah is fairly low-key in that area, and for Paige, anyway, Christmas is not. She said she's got 27 gifts under the tree with her name on them. Holy Mary Mother of God. Eight is the most gifts our kids ever got for Chanukah, one per night, and that's when they were little. These days, our celebration consists of lighting the candles together and reflecting on the wonder of life. What better gift is there than spending time with family and friends and being present to the miracle that life is?

Chuck and I got together when we were only 18 and 19. Back then, we couldn't keep our hands off of each other and we thought we were the only two people on earth.

Damn, I miss those days...

So, how do you celebrate the holidays and what do you remember about young love?

9 comments:

Angie Ledbetter said...

Celebrating the holidays with family, friends and usual traditions. Young love? The mystery and excitement of it all. The endless possibilities. *sigh*

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

I'm with you. Big sigh...

Elizabeth said...

Now regarding your crazy characters... I thought is was a tad memoir-sih... so tell me who were you in your former life?????


As for young love, well, where do I start? I've had a long history of falling in love, really it's a big can of worms. My first kiss... my first 'time'...the first guy I thought I'd marry.. my first long relationship... my long-term relationships... my husband... really where to fill in the details? It's a bit much I'm afraid. No Coles notes either.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Elizabeth, My novel is memoir-ish, although it is definitely fiction. My band was pretty well known in the Denver music scene for a while. (My stage name is Jamie Keys.) You can listen to our music if you check out the link on my blog to Karma Chain-Main or our Karma Chain-My Space link if you're interested.

And, your firsts sound fascinating. Do tell!!!

Ray Veen said...

Okay. Since you're a my-spacer, you can check out this link.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=170539584&albumId=1539832

(sorry I'm not smart enough to make that turn blue)

I guess this would be my personal contribution to the world of puppy love. Cuz your son and his girlfriend do look cute together, and I believe that teenagers can experience "true love" - they just don't always have the maturity to handle it correctly.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

BPV, Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, it's listed as private so I couldn't view it. That's probably a good thing. I can be pretty scary sometimes. Anyway, let me know what I'm missing...

SarahMarian said...

Ha, I'm celebrating with one week of skiing, and one week of NYC-ing.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Sarah, Nice! Enjoy! We're leaving for Denver on Wednesday and we'll be there through Jan. 2nd. We'll be in Winter Park one day, but me and my honey will probably shop, eat, and drink while our kids snowboard. I skied for years, but my back is not what it used to be. (See what you have to look forward to?!!) Have fun skiing and NYC-ing.

Ray Veen said...

It was my fifteen year old daughter and the sixteen year old love of her life. They take a lot of pictures together, I guess because they feel like they are the spokesmodels for young love around the world.

Like Button