Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I Got a Nibble!


My First Nibble!
OMG!!! I got my first nibble! An agent in Washington, DC liked my query and wants to see the first three chapters and a synopsis of my book. OMG!!! If it's not obvious, I am like so totally way excited! (My inner Valley Girl comes out whenever I'm excited. Just ask my husband.) My dad was sitting next to me as I read the agent's e-mail and he said, "You just said OH MY GOD!!! so many times in a row, that I thought maybe you'd finally found religion!" Of course, he knows better, but I just couldn't contain my joy. I felt like a five year old in FAO Schwartz! (Did I mention I'm excited?)

You see, I felt like quite the failure when I didn't get any nibbles at the Algonkian Writer's Conference in NYC in September when some of the other (amazing, brilliant, fantastic) writers in my group did. Of course, I'm not dil-you-sional, as Lewis Black would say. I'm clear that said agent's interest doesn't, by any stretch of the imagination, mean that I will be published. But at least it means I've got a shot! And if this one is interested, than maybe someone else might be, too, right?

So, now I'm feverishly revising my first three chapters, and I need to write a synopsis (which I've never done before.) As I mentioned in my last post, while I was in Denver I met with Karen, my copy editor, and she suggested I chop nearly half of my book out and add more stuff mainly pertaining to my fascinating musical past. (Her words, not mine.) And, I've been a very good girl, working hard on this angle. I have also been advised to take my time replying to the agent, and I will heed this advice as well. I figure it's better to take my time and feel like I've nailed those first three chapters, then to quickly reply before I feel more certain. (Did I mention I'm excited? No, I didn't think so. I'M EXCITED!)

I'm sure plenty of you out there in blogland have had numerous encounters with interested agents. I'd love to hear your stories, both good and bad!

Holiday Dilemma
Replying to a post on Amy Nathan's brilliant blog: http://amysuenathan.com/ got me thinking about the annual holiday dilemma. How do you get stuff done for the holidays, while simultaneously enjoying them? I've got part of the answer. Say you don't cook! I actually don't cook, and, let me tell you, that little deficiency pays off in spades! Of course, I did volunteer to bring some sort of chocolate thingie to my cousin's house in Jersey on Thursday - not quite sure what I was thinking (maybe a big Toblerone bar?). I've decided that chocolate thingie will take shape in the form of a chocolate cream pie. Now, I can hear some of you kitchen-savvy types snickering right now, but this is like a totally way-big major deal to me (Uh, oh, here comes Inner Valley Girl. I must be getting excited!) I scoped out the pie crust situation at my local grocery store and found out they sell them ready-made. Brilliant! Unfortunately, my mom informed me that the instant pudding mix doesn't cut it for a great tasting chocolate cream pie. "You mean I have to combine the pudding mix with milk and then stir until it boils?" I asked. "That sounds dangerously close to cooking!" OK, baking, but in my world, they're one in the same.

Wish me luck. I'll let you know how it turns out. And, most importantly, may you and your families enjoy a cozy, joyful, loving, healthy, and laughter-filled Thanksgiving.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debbie,

Congrats on the agent's email! No matter what happens with this agent, it definitely means there's commercial interest in your thoughts, right?

Btw, if you happen to bring something chocolate from a bakery & say it's from your kitchen, we'll all believe you! So don't sweat the pie. Just remember, chocolate is Sophie's favorite food group...but no pressure.

Tam

Amy Sue Nathan said...

I'm so excited for you!!! Please chronicle your journey here...or keep me posted. Spit shine those chapters, girl!!!!

And thanks for the shout out!!!

Happy Turkey Day to you and yours!!!

(no more exclamation points, I promise! Oops.)

Joanne said...

Congratulations on your good news! Now that is something new to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. I agree, polish those three chapters so they shine, then send them off! Fingers crossed for you, sending wishes for a Happy & peaceful Thanksgiving!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Tam, The bakery? Hmmm... Chuck said to me this morning, "Are you going to bake something or get it from the bakery?" I said (defiantly, with my arms crossed,like a two-year old), "I'm going to make it, darn it! It's Thanksgiving!" However, it sure is nice to know you won't disown me if...

Amy, You're the bomb. I can't wait to meet you in person.

Joanne, Thank you so much! And you're right about Thanksgiving - between the agent and my mom's health improving, I'm going to be saying extra thanks to the gods!

Elizabeth said...

I am SO happy for you! How exciting!! Ya the synopsis is a pain in the butt to write but I'm sure yours will be awesome. I can't wait to hear more. I never got any further than this spot with my last WIP so I am eager to see you move forward so I can learn more!
You go girl!

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

Elizabeth, Thanks for your kind words, and I promise to keep you posted. I will definitely be getting assistance from my copy writer re: the synopsis...

WendyCinNYC said...

Congrats on the nibble! That's great--you are on your way!

Anonymous said...

An agent "nibble" at Thanksgiving? How appropriate!

Congrats, and don't get any chocolate cream pie on that keyboard while pounding out your synopsis... :-)

Like Button